Do you eat an entire mountain house?

I don't know what you hip cats are doing on a hunt, but I can barely eat half a mountain house at night after a long day of hunting. I'll eat some oatmeal and a cup of coffee in the am, maybe a granola bar or two during the day, but by dinner I am still not hungry enough to crush an MH like you guys and gals do. Either my metabolism is seriously jacked up or I'm not hunting hard enough.

Hunt harder next year and report back. LOL

Craig4791

WKR
When I first started eating them and actually didn't mind them I could eat one no problem. Now I just can't stomach them. Haven't ate one in a couple years! lol

inupiat1

FNG
I can eat a whole 3 serving packet in one sitting easily. I like to mix it up with different dried foods, though, so I don't just eat MH. I like taking Zitarain's dirty rice or jambalaya mix. If the weather is cold enough, 40 or below, anything that I don't eat will stay preserved in a container well enough. It mostly depends on how I get into the bush. If by canoe/boat, then I take more fresh or fully/partially hydrated foods. If I have to pack long distances than it's mostly dried food and maybe a couple MRE's. I'm trying out a meal replacement powder called Soylent at work and home at the moment to see if I can or want to take it in the field. A packet of that with fish oil bottle gives just over 2000 calories and gives a full days supply of vitamins and minerals.

Brendan

WKR
One in the morning, one at night, no problem whatsoever finishing. I went with the Breakfast Scramble (Nasty) and the Mac and Cheese (Great). Next year I may end up eating Mac and Cheese for Breakfast :D . Was eating ~4500 Calories a day and still losing a pound a day. 5'11 - Started my trip at 183, finished at 173.

DaveC

WKR
On longer trips in colder weather I find 1.5 Propacks per dinner with added fat (olive oil) is ideal. Stroganoff, Spagetti, and Chicken a la King are favorites. The cheese makes the lasagna too hard to clean off your spoon.

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
These guys would eat a full mountain house if we let them.
rcuan5.jpg

27xqk4k.jpg

25fu6oy.jpg

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Never finish the end of a full meal. I am able to finish the pro-pack, but honestly, if given the choice, I prefer a bit more variety than just a MH sodium gut-bomb. This year I'm going to split them in half, add a half cup of instant potato to each half, and seal them up in zipper food saver bags. We'll see how that goes. I'd much rather have a small butthole sandwich with my gut-bomb.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, I didn't realize this thread was still going. I ended up eating a full Mountainhouse each night of my early elk hunt no problem. When you're beasting in elk country for 12 hours a day it's pretty easy to slam one of them. I think originally when I started this thread I was worried about all the sodium weighing me down but after a good nights rest I felt great each morning.

Bighorse

WKR
If I've got an animal down and I know the next day will be an epic push, I make an genuine effort to over consume calories. I have and will shove down two. That is even more important when the harvest has taken place early in the hunt and I would be carrying that unnecessary extra weight. I've been known to eat right after a kill too. Getting a full belly and then getting hours worth of genuine effort done is a win-win strategy. Hauling a 100+ pound pack around the mountains isn't a small chore. You will need those calories. Keep in mind I'm doing this in remote wilderness areas of Alaska without roads. Many times I'm a few days away from motorized transportation.

The entire thing and often I add a pack of top ramen to it to get more calories.......I tend to eat light during the day and go big at dinner while in the backcountry.

tttoadman

WKR
Funny what you said about eating after the kill. Anything to cut some volume. I got a buck on day 2 of a 4 day pack. I ate 3 MH in one sitting before packing out to the truck. Had lots of energy for that pack out!!

Akshphntr

FNG
Do not worry about too much sodium if you are hunting and sweating all day. You will cramp or even die from low sodium but just sweat out any excess from your meals. Especially in hot sunny hunt you need extra sodium....

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
After a day hiking the mountains I can devour a whole MH no problem. I steer clear of the Mexican style rice and chicken however as that one will rip the tent off the pegs!

IdahoElk

WKR
Do not worry about too much sodium if you are hunting and sweating all day. You will cramp or even die from low sodium but just sweat out any excess from your meals. Especially in hot sunny hunt you need extra sodium....

How do you guys do it? Going from not putting salt on anything during the year to a MH salt bomb pisses my heart off big time! I use Hammer supplements to replenish trace minerals and bring in pre cooked food which is not easy.
Are there any other brands with less salt?