Do I need a computer?

PAhntr91

WKR
Normally I e scout on my phone and sometimes and iPad. Going through divorce now and I don’t actually have a laptop computer or iPad myself. I do like to to e scout a decent amount and trying to get a mule deer trip in this fall. How many of you guys use just your phone for map scouting or should I pony up for a laptop. Not a great adult in that way so maybe leaning towards a laptop. It’s just not something cool to spend that money on b

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
It can be done on just the phone, but I like using the desktop computer/laptop with google earth to pinpoint areas then transfer to onX, gps for handheld field use

EdP

WKR
computer definitely for me. I will have multiple info sources open at the same time and toggle back and forth (google earth, Wy G&F maps, Onx).

Simon1523

FNG
Normally I e scout on my phone and sometimes and iPad. Going through divorce now and I don’t actually have a laptop computer or iPad myself. I do like to to e scout a decent amount and trying to get a mule deer trip in this fall. How many of you guys use just your phone for map scouting or should I pony up for a laptop. Not a great adult in that way so maybe leaning towards a laptop. It’s just not something cool to spend that money on b
anything you can hook a wireless mouse up to, seems easier for me with a mouse to use the mouse scroll and quicker to bounce around

Shilly21

FNG
PAhntr91 honestly, I am not sure you should pony up for new laptop just to scout mapping programs. There is a lot of other gear I would rather spend money on. Especially since, I do most of my scouting on my phone. I use OnX mostly but I can jump between Google earth and Go Hunt maps just as easily. I have a Mac and found it to be some what cumbersome to scout OnX on a computer. Just my two cents.

E scouting a large area on the phone sucks, but can be done. With the new 3d maps from onx and others, my phone is old and can't run smoothly half the time. I bought a fairly inexpensive computer a few years ago that only gets used to scout, apply for draws, or to find super secret spots to shoot boone and crockett animals on Rokslide.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
PAhntr91 honestly, I am not sure you should pony up for new laptop just to scout mapping programs. There is a lot of other gear I would rather spend money on. Especially since, I do most of my scouting on my phone. I use OnX mostly but I can jump between Google earth and Go Hunt maps just as easily. I have a Mac and found it to be some what cumbersome to scout OnX on a computer. Just my two cents.
Yeah believe me there’s a lot of other stuff I want. Tripod maybe a spotter. Maybe that would be better to spend the cash on.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I think it would depend on the individual but at least 60%, if not more, of my success is because of time spent behind the computer. I also do a lot of hunting, almost always in places I’ve never stepped foot in before, so for me it is a must.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
I think it would depend on the individual but at least 60%, if not more, of my success is because of time spent behind the computer. I also do a lot of hunting, almost always in places I’ve never stepped foot in before, so for me it is a must.
I would agree. I feel I’m always looking for new spots. Even places across the country being able to really dive into the area only helps. Just don’t get as detailed on the phone

I really rely on my iPad for e-scouting. If I were in your shoes, I'd find a good used iPad and dedicate it just for that purpose. That's almost all mine gets used for. Beats the crap out of a phone.