DIY Walk In cooler help!

Gobbler36

WKR
So recently bought my first home and in the corner of my garage I have the perfect 6x6 area to build a mini walk in cooler. Ive got some incredible info from coolbot.com (which i recommend checking out if you are wanting to do this) but wondering if you fellas on here have successfully completed this project? do you have pics? or list of materials? ideas that you had or trial and error thoughts? Really excited about this project. It will be perfect for those days when I get back late on a Sunday night from a hunt and have to work the next couple days I can hang it and get to it when I get all the immediate work out of the way.

I have had several large commercial walk in coolers. All 220v. A 220v compressor works better than the 100v counterpart. You can wait for a used one to come up. Depending where you live , visit or call a restraint supply company and ask about used units.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
I live in the southwest Idaho,
my thoughts were to build a frame and use spray on insulation on the floors, ceilings, and walls. then cover with shower panels or steel depending on cost then put an LG 10,000 btu 115 volt wall unit with the COOL BOT adapter. On average how much would you say those used units cost?

todde1792

FNG
I can't answer your question, but for the sake of sharing, we had considered building a walk in cooler and picking up a truck reefer to cool it. Considering, for us anyway that we'd only need to keep it cool a few weeks outta the year...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A friend built one out of 2 x 6, used pink board foam insulation and a window shaker, you can get FRP-sani board for the walls and put a drain in the floor. Works well !

Brendan

WKR
If you want to PM me your email address - I have a PDF article saved on someone doing this for home brewing. I just checked the link where it used to be stored, and it's no longer active so can't link to it...

I saved the article for the same reason...

colersu22

WKR
My father in law built one a couple years ago like your talking about and it works great, with the coolbot it will keep it at 38 degrees. He framed the freezer with 2x4 then used the pink board insulation between the stud bays. He then spray foamed everything to make sure the cold air will stay in. His had a problem with losing its cool through the concrete floor so he insulated the floor the same way he did the walls and now it works perfect.

Squirrels

WKR
There is a very long, in-depth thread on Archery Talk about DIY walk-in coolers that might be worth a look.

Used prices depends on where you are and demand. I have seen 10x10 for as little as 1k and up to 4k. If you live near a major metro where there is more selection....usually prices are cheaper. That usually is just the walls, doors and compressor/cooler. So you will still need to pour a floor.

I can't comment on the compressor/cooling side of things, but I would use structural insulated panels for the frame and ceiling. These are basically 4-6" thick Styrofoam sheets sandwiched between plywood or particle board. You could call around to places that use them and see if they will sell you scraps. I was able to get scraps for free and build an 6x8' hunting blind. You'd be amazed what some people consider scrap.

Jimbob

WKR
We purchased a used one from a meat distributor closing up shop a few years ago. We assembled the panels then did spray foam in cracks to seal it up. Kind of a semi DIY as it was old and in pieces and we put it together in the configuration that we wanted, it wasn't a simple rectangle set-up.
We ran it for a year on the concrete floor then the next year insulated the floor and that made a big difference. 2" foam board over the whole floor then plywood on top and caulked all the cracks. Works great.

It should be a pretty straight forward project, good luck.

lif

WKR
Now you guys got me thinking. I have a nice big shop I could easily build a 6x6 or 8x8 room. So one more time where can I buy a proper cooler for this project? Both new and used options. I leave my meat for 10+ days before butcher and my little junker fridge isn't cutting it anymore.

lif

WKR
So just a normal window install ac will keep a small room down to 38?

Sure, a window unit will do it. However longevetity will be a problem .....they aren't built for that. They will also use a considerable more power. Look on Craigslist for a used 220v Cooler compressor.....you will be more happy with it.

lif

WKR
So what kind of cooler am I looking for? Also for me personally it probably only run couple weeks a year

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Sure, a window unit will do it. However longevetity will be a problem .....they aren't built for that. They will also use a considerable more power. Look on Craigslist for a used 220v Cooler compressor.....you will be more happy with it.

How much more power will it use and how will longevity be impacted if it's only being run maybe 3 weeks a year

I have built one using a coolbot and an AC unit. Mine is 6X8 and WORKS GREAT! I don't have any pictures of my build but for here in Idaho where it is very dry, I went with fiberglass insulation but enclosed it with a plastic vapor shield on BOTH sides. This prevents any condensation building up in the insulation and is a lot cheaper than using Styrofoam boards or spray insulation. I used spray to fill any gaps. Add a good insulated door and it holds 37 degrees with only running the compressor for about 10 minutes per hour once its at temp. Gets down to temp fast when empty (less than an hour) obviously slower when full of meat.

Here are a couple pictures:
View attachment 51636

View attachment 51637

And with 3 Cow elk hanging....

View attachment 51638

If you have any questions ask away.