Diy ozone closet

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about making a ozone closet, anyone use one? Do they actually help or is it a waste? If anyone has made their own do you have a ozone generator you recommend? I’m thinking I’ll make a closet at home with a larger generator and then get a small battery/ and or 12v one I can throw in a tub in the pickup while on a hunting trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense, but this sounds like a waste of time and money. You will not be able to eliminate enough odors (your body reeks to a deer/elk) to make this beneficial. Use the wind, the only way to beat their noses.

Also, ozone is death to any rubber products, orings, seals, etc. Including rubber boots, and possibly boot soles depending on what they are made of. There are small units to deodorize your car, truck, or small room. Wash your clothes in scent-free wash, then put them in an airtight bag (large ziplocks available on Ebay). But as soon as you put them on, they could be overpowered by your human scent. Hunt the wind, and like Elmer Fudd says "be vewy, vewy quiet".

Last edited:

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
I boxed in a small closet few years ago and have been using a scent purge. Cost like 70$. Have it on a Christmas lights timer that Will run for 1/2 Hour during morning and afternoon I just adjust the time on it so it would be done right before I would leave the house to go hunting. I have only had problems with it hurting hunting gear when I let it run 24/7. Learned my lesson and since then zero issues. And yes I 100% believe it makes a difference. Do you still have human odor, yea. But Atleast your gear doesn’t. Also hanging clothes in a closet is way better then them being crammed in a tote where they can get mildewy

I do have 2 small Ozone machines, one a Scentlok oz 20B that I use in my truck when it gets smelly, it just recharges by plugging it in. I also have a larger HME Scent Slammer unit that is supposed to remove odors in room size areas. I guess either one would work in a closet. As Adam 12 suggested, don't run it 24/7. I think making sure your clothing is scent free is more important if you are bow hunting, than rifle hunting.
You don't want cooking smells (bacon grease, etc), or gasoline smells on your clothes. I try to minimize the odors I bring into the field, using scent free deodorant, etc, so scent free clothing can't hurt.

Last edited:
I use a cheap $40 closet from Amazon. Keep it in my garage, and turn it on for 20-30 mins before I go hunting and throw my clothes in a tote and get dressed before I walk to the stand. I use an ozone machine in field also. Seen it work flawlessly, and I've seen it scare the sh** out of deer, but 99% of the time I'm in the stand, I have it with me. Point is, you're not hurting anything by having a scent control regimen. Do whatever gives you piece of mind. I use a scentlok radial.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I purchased a cheap ozone machine on Amazon (Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 6,000mg) for my hunting closet in the garage. It has worked as advertised and I haven't had any issues.

I agree that playing the wind is the most important, but having any type of scent regimen can only help.

Scent control, is for your brain.

In reality, the moment you put on your ozone washed clothing, they’ll instantly reek like stank ass human again.

You simply can not make any appreciable dent in your scent, when it pertains to an animals olfactory system.

I have two metal (but vented) closers in my garage/barn I store my hunting clothes in. I wired them up with a scentlok room ozone generator and run them during the hunting season.
I have no expectations of keeping deer noses confused with the ozone, but I use it so I keep my sweat and stink off the clothes and don’t have to wash them Unless visibly soiled.
Last year I ran it for the first time. I didn’t wash my clothes once during season, even my bottom layers. They never stank, and always smelled fresh when I would put them on. Was not uncommon to have a slight ozone smell come off me as I opened jackets and zippers and such things while hunting. In my opinion, the project was very successful.

pjh360

FNG
I purchased a generator from Common Hunter and fitted it on a Husky brand wheeled tote. Works great!

Thess87

WKR
I have a ozone generator off Amazon that looks exactly like the scent crusher ones but a third of the price. Over time it will for sure wear on any rubber in boots or shoulder straps etc. in the whitetail woods I for sure believe it helps. Nothing is 100%. But I’ve seen it give me that couple extra seconds I believe before they figure ya out. I use the $40 Walmart portable closets but i go through 1 every year cause the ozone deteriorates the material. I went from washing clothes every other time cause of bo to twice a season.