DIY ideas for carrying bow on pack.

grfox92

WKR
I use a Seek Uniweep 4800. Last year I used a bungee chord and a nylon trail cam strap. That sucked pretty bad. The bow epuld sag and constantly needed re adjusted.

I'm aware of the Kifaru grabit but am looking for more of a DIY option I can make or something from the hardware store I can use. Let me know what some of you have used.

Thanks

Gary

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Back when I hunted out of an osprey backpacking pack I had 2 nylon straps with plastic buckles that I could run inside an exposed part of the frame stays around the outside of the pack. Unless you can attach to something solid like the frame it’s gonna move around a lot while hiking. I almost always carry it in my hand now

Redwood

Lil-Rokslider
I usually strap it on like 5milesback does. I can also rest mine on top of my pack if I am hunting open country. I haven't ever used one but bowspider makes a bow carrying system. I tried one on at TAC last year. Seemed to work pretty good I just didnt want the extra weight.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Since my pack has a Talon on it and doesn't have straps like 5MilesBack has on his SG. I think I'll go to ACE Hardware and get some strap and buckle material and make my own set up to sew on to the Seek frame.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
The folks at Seek might be able to give you an idea of what others are doing as it relates to your specific pack. They always seem to be very responsive and helpful with questions....I would give them a call.

A lot of times, I’ll use my gun bearer. I slip a cam in the bottom pouch and secure the top with the strap. Works great.

With 4 pairs of side-release repair buckles and a few feet of webbing, you could make 2 custom-length adjustable cinch straps with no sewing involved. Put female split-bar buckles on the loops already sewn on the pack and put a male buckle on both ends of each strap. G-hooks would also work instead of side-release buckles and would be lower profile. Route the straps around or through the bow's riser, pull them tight, and the bow won't go anywhere. I think 1/2", 3/4" or 1" webbing/buckles would work fine.
Screenshot_20220818-113829_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220818-120334_Samsung Internet.jpg
itw-g-hook-wave~2.jpg

Last edited:
Kuiu's bow cradle/carrier seems like it has a fairly adaptable mount system that clips into those loops on the Seek backpack, bet you could rig it up to work with some monkeying. It comes with the clips and all. kuiubow.jpg

On my SO Lanner I just got some extra gate keepers and some webbing- one wrap around the riser and attach the gate keepers into one of the existing loops- usually use one strap high and one down lower.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
With 4 pairs of side-release repair buckles and a few feet of webbing, you could make 2 custom-length adjustable cinch straps with no sewing involved. Put female split-bar buckles on the loops already sewn on the pack and put a male buckle on both ends of each strap. G-hooks would also work instead of side-release buckles and would be lower profile. Route the straps around or through the bow's riser, pull them tight, and the bow won't go anywhere. I think 1/2", 3/4" or 1" webbing/buckles would work fine.
View attachment 441379
View attachment 441380
View attachment 441381
Great idea. My Unaweep is older and not sure it has those loops. I'll have to check tomorrow.

View attachment 441379
View attachment 441380
View attachment 441381
I was going to suggest something along these lines as well. If you have to use local stuff a 1” or 3/4” buckle and webbing could probably be sourced from the hardware store. You can just use a dremel to put a slot in the buckle to allow you to attach it. The ideal buckle for these would be a seek G Hook IMO.

If your pack doesn’t have those specific loops, any loops will work.

I have a bow sling I use if I'm hiking less than a few miles, but I also like to utilize ski straps. They are super adjustable, hold stuff tight, and are valuable to just have in your pack.