DIY generator build?

Anyone built a generator using vehicle alternators? Thinking of giving it a try for a small , cheap camp generator. Super powerful magnets are added to the armature (neodymium magnets?) inside the alternator. Supposedly capable of 240 volts DC. Curious to see if anyone has fabricated one. Lots of vids on youtube about it.

SWOHTR

WKR
Anyone built a generator using vehicle alternators? Thinking of giving it a try for a small , cheap camp generator. Super powerful magnets are added to the armature (neodymium magnets?) inside the alternator. Supposedly capable of 240 volts DC. Curious to see if anyone has fabricated one. Lots of vids on youtube about it.

My first questions would be governing speed for 60hz output? Or is it done via reduction gear? Or are you looking for DC power.

OP
razorsharptokill
Well.. supposedly you can get AC power from an automotive alternator. There are dozens of videos on youtube showing it "supposedly" being done with nothing but an electric motor (fed by the alternator)and no exterior power source. There are also several vids claiming that it is fake. i,e, perpetual motion.

All that debate aside, it seems the key to getting AC out of the alternator is adding neodynium magnets arranged with opposing poles. Here is a link to a setup being demonstrated. If you look at his other vids he sows how the alternator is modified.

A small gas powered motor can be had fairly cheap in case I am not destin to be the next Nikola Tesla lol. A small, simple generator for truck camping built as cheaply as possible is the goal.

fmyth

WKR
Or you could buy a Harbor Freight Predator 1400 for $449 and not take the chance of smoking your vehicles ecu or sensitive electronics like your phone, laptop, gps etc. that you would like to charge. If you are determined not to buy a generator all you really need is a high power replacement alternator and an 12v to 110v pure sine wave inverter. Those items will cost you 2 to 3 times more than the aforementioned generator.

JoeDirt

WKR
Not sure why you need to modify the alternator with magnets.

You just remove the voltage regulator and rectifier. You get an AC 3 phase output, the frequency will vary with RPM. You can add a external bridge rectifier and convert back to DC

However powering the motor with the alternator is complete BS, energy isnt free and there are losses involved with belts, bearing, drag from the alternator electric field...ect ect

Click bait BS

OP
razorsharptokill
All good points. Will probably just buy a generator so i can have it for power outages at the house too.
So my question about the video is this, how is he faking it? Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to.

There are lots of good scam 'perpetual motion' machines or whatever on the web. Some of them are pretty ingenious how they sneak in the power. Rest assured the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics still apply. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.