DIY fails

So I've been skimming through here the past few weeks, got inspired enough to pick up a used sewing machine on Friday and made a couple pullouts so far...I've heard it said that pullouts are a "gateway drug" and that's definitely accurate! Traded in the old freezer bag my kill kit has been riding in for over a year for a zippered silnylon pullout, time to do the same for my first aid and fire kits. I plan on attempting to make a lid for my SJK bounty 2.0 over the winter and eventually making a frame and pack bag for my son. Right now he has a 40L deuter which works great for getting his gear in but he helped me pack out a bear this spring and a meat shelf would have helped a lot, as far as I know though there are no hunting packs on the market for 10 year olds. I figure a pack that's only intended to haul 25-35lbs should be a good way to test my skills before attempting something I would use for the stupid loads I've found myself coming out with but I would definitely like to make a pack bag for myself eventually as well. Figured I would ask if anyone has had any backcountry gear failures when it comes to DIY packs or made mistakes during fabrication that taught them a lesson they could share and hopefully save others some headaches in the future. Thanks to everyone for the inspiration, I honestly never would have thought I could make something functional if I hadn't seen it on here!

84gGOor.jpg

lLxJNsq.jpg

nNX8gJP.jpg

Last edited:
I've only made pullouts, tarps, field chair type things. no in the field failures but the best way to avoid issues during fabrication is to take your time, triple check your plan, take 3 deep breaths if it's not going according to plan and know when to walk away and come back tomorrow.
Good luck!

OP
BackcountryBloodline
I've only made pullouts, tarps, field chair type things. no in the field failures but the best way to avoid issues during fabrication is to take your time, triple check your plan, take 3 deep breaths if it's not going according to plan and know when to walk away and come back tomorrow.
Good luck!

Tarps have kept you nice and dry so far? Would definitely like to try doing a tipi eventually. I've certainly learned my lesson with other forms of DIY that when I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall it's time to step back and take a break, everything always seems to come together smoother when you come back to it. Did you use a walking foot for the tarps?

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I haven‘t had any field failures. However, not much of my DIY gets stressed hard at this point. As I’m still a newb myself, I am working on more projects.

My best advice is we all want the finished project. However, if you rush to the end you will make alot of mistakes you will regret later. To do it right takes 3 times the amount of time in prep. Laying out and / or making the pattern. Cutting the pieces correctly. Then assembling correctly.

I always keep in mind, I’m not a trained, commercial, seamster. Sometimes - most likely in the beginning - it’s gonna look a bit “homemade”. At least I hope it starts to look better...lol

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone done silnylon meat bags? Curious how much meat people have had hanging in there at one time.

I am by no means an authority... but silnylon isn't breathable, and I'm under the impression that you want your meat bags to be able to breath when hanging meat as moisture makes for a prime breeding ground for bacteria.

Having said that, I've got a silnylon bag to put meat bags into when transporting them so my gear doesn't get nasty, but not for hanging meat.

OP
BackcountryBloodline
I am by no means an authority... but silnylon isn't breathable, and I'm under the impression that you want your meat bags to be able to breath when hanging meat as moisture makes for a prime breeding ground for bacteria.

Having said that, I've got a silnylon bag to put meat bags into when transporting them so my gear doesn't get nasty, but not for hanging meat.

So is it just uncoated lightweight ripstop people are using for synthetic game bags or a multi-fabric blend with some more stretch to it? I've always just used the classic cheesecloth bags, don't care about a little blood on my pack but cheesecloth doesn't stop the flies from laying blow on the meat and bedsheets are pretty bulky/heavy.

OP
BackcountryBloodline
Busy weekend, sure is fun seeing constant improvement when starting a new hobby. (Top one was my first, can definitely see the evolution.) Retired a few more ziplocks and added about 400ci to my pack, time to do some research on frame building and try to put something together for the kid for spring bear!

pjrbSos.jpg

8ptmfZ5.jpg

XNkKVdF.jpg

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
So is it just uncoated lightweight ripstop people are using for synthetic game bags or a multi-fabric blend with some more stretch to it? I've always just used the classic cheesecloth bags, don't care about a little blood on my pack but cheesecloth doesn't stop the flies from laying blow on the meat and bedsheets are pretty bulky/heavy.
I made my meat bags with uncoated ripstop, and they work great. I’ve done 40lbs in one with no signs of over stressing anything.

Good luck!
Couldn't agree more with you on this. Also Test, Test, Test before you go out.

OP
BackcountryBloodline
I have some blackburn dry bags that are the perfect shape for meat bags but very heavy duty, going to try and copy those dimensions with ripstop and see how it turns out...only have black at the moment so probably better for a transport bag than for hanging but if it works out I'll pick up some in white or coyote for sure.