DIY Bino Harness

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
The subject came up under a different thread about bino harness comfort and bulk so I thought I would post up what I came up with, be it ever so humble.

I tried alot of the systems out there but, being a smaller dude, the scale of some of the rigs was just more than I wanted or needed. Anytime something is a "one size fit's all" it's usually got alot of excess for me that I dont want to wear or carry. I don't mind tinkering to get a more custom fit and if I'm the only one looking at it I'm not to concerned with the asthetics (as is quite evident in the pics). The one in the pics is for my 12's. I made one for my 10's also.

I liked the layout of the Marsupial pouch and, since they offered a pouch only option, it was perfect for a DIY harness. I think I used some material from an old golf pullover for the back "web" junction and had some 1" and 3/4" webbing laying around for the straps. For the shoulder straps I wanted them as smooth as possible under my pack straps so I tested some different lengths and found out I really didn't need any adjustment there and could get away with no buckles. I just sewed them straight into the top of the pouch. I found some super low profile center release buckles for the lower straps and sewed them in at the bottom corners. They are not Kifaru strong by any means but they have lasted 6 years for me now with no problem. I used a 3/4" elastic webbing section in the lower straps to allow some room for heavy breathing. The back panel I just kinda eyballed to get the radius' right and then sewed in the straps. As you can see, I try not to let Perfect get in the way of Good Enough.

I should back up and say that I like the Marsupial pouch but I prefer a back folding lid (crazy I know, maybe its a muscle memory thing). So, I cut the lid off and before I restiched it to the back I cut some of the height out of the pouch so it fits perfect to my binos with no play.

Apologies to the guys on here that really do know how to sew. I wish I had the skills those dudes have. Please don't even compare this hack job to the nice stuff they are turning out.

IMG_4136.JPGIMG_4130.JPG
IMG_4133.JPGIMG_4134.JPG

Thanks guys!

Paladin

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Coming up with your own design trumps looks all day.

I like the creativity.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Well done! I'm slowly getting better at sewing, but nobody will ever accuse me of professional-level stitching. It's all about function, and your harness looks to be very functional.

This is excellent! I really like the inclusion of the elastic straps. How are you liking the elastic so far?

Every time I put my Marsupial harness on I think about how I should make it a custom fit, but am two years in with it and have yet to do so. Maybe 2023 will be the year.

as.ks.ak

WKR
This is excellent! I really like the inclusion of the elastic straps. How are you liking the elastic so far?

Every time I put my Marsupial harness on I think about how I should make it a custom fit, but am two years in with it and have yet to do so. Maybe 2023 will be the year.

Be careful. My sewing journey started with making a bino harness custom fit. Now I’m starting a custom sewing business as a side gig.

You’ve been warned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Paladin

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe

Thanks. The elastic works good for me. I actually doubled it up to make it a little stiffer and hopefully prolong the life. It has held up well so far and hasn't stretched out.

I know what you mean about deciding to customize the one you have. Some stuff just begs to be cut up and made better but the Marsupial gear is pretty dang good out of the box and it makes it hard to put the knife to it. If I didnt already have two I might buy the MR setup that's on Camofire today for $49 and see if I could tune it up a little bit:unsure:

OP
Paladin

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Be careful. My sewing journey started with making a bino harness custom fit. Now I’m starting a custom sewing business as a side gig.

You’ve been warned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha! You are right as.ak.ak! A bino harness is kinda the gateway hobby craft but, if successful, the DIY addiction can really take hold!😁