Dirty game bags

So i broke a cardinal rule and was going through my hunting stuff yesterday to get ready for the season and found my last years game bags.... After the hustle and bustle of a hunt last year and my wife being pregnant I forgot I stashed them away In a plastic sack to take care of them and completely spaced on cleaning them. So i pulled out the bags and they are all dried up with blood. What's y'alls take on if it's ok to run them through a couple cycles in the wash machine and use them this year or throw them away and just get new? They are the Caribou Wapiti meat sacks so they weren't cheap... Thanks for the feedback

jhm2023

WKR
I've done the same. I make a mix of hot water, small amount of bleach to sanitize and some scent free soap to remove stuff as the bleach doesn't have surfactants like soap. Let the bags soak for a bit agitating occasionally. I then wring them out some and wash them with a bleach soap mix on hot water in the washing machine and hang dry. That process has always worked for me without issue.

Mt Al

WKR
Been there, done that! Soak, wring them out, soak again, wash. I didn't use bleach, probably should have. Mine have worked for many years after The Year of Leaving Them Crusty With Blood.

I followed the instructions on the Caribou Bag website and let them soak in cold water with some dish soap for a day and then ran through the washer with detergent and a little bleach. They cleaned up fine.

jspradley

WKR
The bags should be OK. Soak em in water with a little bleach in it then toss them in the washer with some scent free soap and you should be good to go

Last edited:
Hydrogen peroxide - soak in water with HP for maybe an hour - spot clean with HP and then soak it, then rinse, then soak with whatever recommended detergent for like an hour, then rinse, then washing machine with bleach.

Like everyone else said, cold water. Hot will set the blood stain. If theyre still a little greasy after you get the blood out (which they shouldnt be) you can always rewash in hot. Oxy is a beast on blood stains...years old and gone!

87TT

WKR
Just wash them. Who cares about blood stains. Going to get new stains anyway.

jhm2023

WKR
I use hot water to help with removing the grease and killing bacteria. I'm less concerned about the cosmetic appearance of my bags and more concerned with the amount of nasty stuff in the fabric that could affect future meat. They still come completely white with the combo of hot water, bleach and soap though so win win.

OP
Cschelin24
I use hot water to help with removing the grease and killing bacteria. I'm less concerned about the cosmetic appearance of my bags and more concerned with the amount of nasty stuff in the fabric that could affect future meat. They still come completely white with the combo of hot water, bleach and soap though so win win.
Thanks! Ya I wasnt too concerned about the looks, was just worried about it affecting the future meat as well. Have em soaking right now after their first wash.