Dirt cheap Mathews v3x SAS

43.6N

FNG
I recently picked up a V3X 29. Really liked the idea of the SAS.

I took a 3 foot section of d loop material and tied 2 bowline knots 27 inches apart.

Then I attached them to the cams and was able to field press the bow, installed my peep, adjusted timing, etc.

Worked well. No downsides or weight penalty since I always have extra d loop cord with me.

I imagine for the V3x 33 you would want to tie your loops 31 inches apart.

Hope this helps others out there.

Stop cutting into Mathews revenue stream with your work arounds..

I will say.. The SAS is a fairly sweet innovation and a good enough reason to have a 2nd set of strings ready to go. I told my buddy that he needs to get a 2nd set and install them so he has 1 set of strings already broken in and ready to go

wayoh22

WKR
Just out of genuine curiosity - how often does this happen?

I think it's a really cheap insurance policy if something does goes wrong.

fatlander

WKR
Stop cutting into Mathews revenue stream with your work arounds..

I will say.. The SAS is a fairly sweet innovation and a good enough reason to have a 2nd set of strings ready to go. I told my buddy that he needs to get a 2nd set and install them so he has 1 set of strings already broken in and ready to go

You can’t do a full string and cable replacement in the field with the the SAS. You’ve gotta pull axles on the cc/sw cam Mathews to do that. The only thing worth carrying in the back country is an extra aim string that’s already got a loop and peep in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can’t do a full string and cable replacement in the field with the the SAS. You’ve gotta pull axles on the cc/sw cam Mathews to do that. The only thing worth carrying in the back country is an extra aim string that’s already got a loop and peep in it.

You can replace the cables, just not the yokes.

And you can't do anything if something gets cut all the way through.

fatlander

WKR
You can replace the cables, just not the yokes.

And you can't do anything if something gets cut all the way through.

Exactly.

All I can see you “fixing” is a string/cable that was nicked with a broadhead or a splitting a cable to re-insert/re-time a rest activation chord.

Exactly.

All I can see you “fixing” is a string/cable that was nicked with a broadhead or a splitting a cable to re-insert/re-time a rest activation chord.

Right, which would likely cover 90% of what you would need. Usually a broadhead contacting the strings or cables doesn't cut them all the way through, in my experience.

I think it's nice for someone at home to adjust a peep who doesn't have a press.

It's not for tuning, but I can see the advantages to it.

OP
43.6N

43.6N

FNG
I was able to insert and adjust my peep. And add twists to the cables to tune center shot at the range without needing an actual bow press.

Hope this helps someone out there, and happy hunting.

I was able to insert and adjust my peep. And add twists to the cables to tune center shot at the range without needing an actual bow press.

Hope this helps someone out there, and happy hunting.

How did you tune center shot by twisting the cables? You can't adjust cam lean on the SW with yokes, they need to be shimmed. You can adjust cam timing, but nothing with the lean without pulling and using the top hats.

Unless you move around the yoke splitter to try to change the pull on the yoke, which I wouldn't recommend.

OP
43.6N

43.6N

FNG
My experience tuning binary cam systems has always been that small left/right tears can be corrected by adding a twist or so to the cable insertion loop on the offending side.

Not changes that are significant enough to warrant changing the cam position with spacers or top hats. But just the small left right tears before a true bullet hole.

But honestly the biggest selling point of the field pressing system was the fact that I could adjust timing in the field. These stock zebra strings have already settled a fair bit. And I’ve had more expensive strings move a fair bit with the temp changes of a hunting season. I really liked that I could show up at elevation after shooting all summer, check my timing marks, and make a quick adjustment if needed.
I used to carry a small cable press in the truck to make such adjustments. Now I simply have more options

Hunt4Wade

FNG
I recently picked up a V3X 29. Really liked the idea of the SAS.

I took a 3 foot section of d loop material and tied 2 bowline knots 27 inches apart.

Then I attached them to the cams and was able to field press the bow, installed my peep, adjusted timing, etc.

Worked well. No downsides or weight penalty since I always have extra d loop cord with me.

I imagine for the V3x 33 you would want to tie your loops 31 inches apart.

Hope this helps others out there.
Ahhhhh. I fell victim to buying the SAS. Had thought about making my own but couldn’t find a measurement of the SAS itself. I always have paracord on me but I figured it would stretch too much. Glad to hear the d loop worked well for this. Thanks for the tip!