Dies for 7PRC

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I'm doing a little research on loading dies for a 7PRC that I'm having built. It seems that there's several different styles and brands to choose from. I'm leaning towards Hornady. They have a match grade set and a custom grade set. I'm a novice reloader and was wondering if the match grade set is worth the extra money. Anyone have experience with these?
Thanks

I think the match is definitely worth it and it’s what I use for my 7 prc. You can use neck bushings ( bought separately) for various neck tension and the seating die comes with the micrometer adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
On my hunting rifles I've gone to the RCBS matchmaster seating dies as I'm buying new ones. They're worth the upcharge for sure. I hate holding the bullets as they raise into the die and trying to keep them as straight as possible and these dies solve that problem and let you adjust the stem for different length bullets. Makes seating bullets consistent and easy.

When I was doing research for dies for my 300PRC, the Forster were highly recommended. I went with their typical FL sizing die and so far it's been good. If I did it over again, I might grab the matching matchmaster FL bushing sizing die too. I got one for my .223 and I really like it. Only downside is that you have to play with the bushing to get it how you want but at least you have that option for neck tension.

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
I’d buy the most expensive brand die you can afford. I’m not always in the camp that the most expensive of things is the best, but I feel that with dies you get out what you put in. Consistency and accuracy is the goal with reloading. If you are committed to Hornady, I’d go with the match version.

I do not use bushings any longer after the Whidden video. I use Forster dies exclusively but early in the 7PRC game all I could get was Hornady Customs. I added the micrometer stem and they have been great so I have never taken them out of the press, The Forster Ultramicrometer set is still in the box. I am just starting with the 6 ARC now and I will probably buy the Forster set only because I geek out on these things.

Last edited:
I do not use bushings any longer after the Whidden video. I use Forster dies exclusively but early in the 7PRC game all I could get was Hornady Customs. I added the micrometer stem and they have been great so I have never taken them out of the press, The Forster Ultramicrometer set is still in the box. I am just starting with the 6 ARC now and I will probably the Forster set only because I geek out on these things.
What Whidden video?

I use the Hornady Match dies with large bushing, no expander ball and set final neck tension with SAC mandrels.

I don't use the expander ball either and set neck tension with a Mandrel. I had a few Forster dies custom honed for either Peterson or ADG brass but I have found no real benefit since I use a mandrel. The video is not a definitive “don't use bushings” it was just enough for me move away from them. Probably just laziness on my part. Math is hard