Depriming and Reusing Primers

muskieman223

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone ever deprimed live primers from brass they previously loaded and reused those primers in a different casing? I have around 100 300 win mag brass I loaded a couple years ago and no longer have the gun and was wondering if its ok to reuse them in some 7mm I have?

Yes. Many times. Never an issue. I just use my sizing die and adjust the depriming pin so it removes the primer before the brass engages the die. I'll catch the primers on a clean piece of paper. Never had an issue with reusing them either.

Always wear safety glasses just to be safe.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Yes, just keep an eye on the anvils of the primers, sometime they will come loose. I won't reuse them for loads that I'm going to be hunting with. I make sure that my workspace is clear, no other primers or powder sitting around nearby, wear eye protection and keep my face away from the press, and I don't let them pile up in the catcher.

hiker270

WKR
I have used them but have had a few fail to fire. I won't use them in hunting ammo only in ammo I'm either sighting in a rifle or developing some new loads.

Bono

FNG
Yes, many times infact and I never for once had an issue

Yes, many times infact and I never for once had an issue
As well, never a fail to fire upon reuse or issue when removing them.

And as was said above that, which I haven't been able to double quote due to my lack of techno savvy apparently, keep them in an empty separate primer tray for sighting, load development, etc and not for field loads.

Do it with a deft and light touch, and eye protection as was also shared above

Last edited: