Delorme inReach

Manosteel

WKR
Just over 5 months to sheep and mountain mulely hunting season and its looking more and more like I will be going sole this season. Wife is not happy with that, so I'm looking into ways to keep her peace of mind. First option would have been a pack dog but while there is talk about changes the laws in our province to allow that to happen, we are looking at 2014 for that to become a reality.

No cell reception where I hunt other than the odd peak on a mountain, which is sketchy at best. So I am seriously looking at the "Delorme inReach for a smart phone. I have searched the forum and most guys said there were using one last season and were going to post updates but ... Didn't.

So... For those who used the Delorme Inreach how did it perform in the backcountry?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like mine. Just know if you send a message to your friend, it will show up your location so they better be trustworthy.

Mine works well, it is paired with an iPhone

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I had had no issues with my set-up using the In Reach and my iPhone. I would prefer to have a Sat Phone. But this isn't a bad option.

ST52v

WKR
I think I just saw where they are coming out with another new model over on backpacking light forums. Check with delmore and see if it's true. This might lower the price of the ones out there but you will still have the service plan to pay for. Let us know what you find out. Robin

G Posik

WKR
I used mine with the android phone. It works great. I used it to stay I will touch with the family. I was also getting weather reports sent to me via text. I will not go out without it.

Glenn

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Thanks for the feedback, if I get one I will be using it with my Iphone.

The new model called the inReach SE will be able to both send and receive text messages -- all from one device. no other phone or device needed. no price was set.

Service plans range from 15-50$ a month with a one time $30 activiation fee and you can suspend your serivce for 3.95 a month when I assume for most its not hunting season.

Sounds good. well wait a bit to see what the new model costs and looks like in the hand before making a deicison.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
Used mine for three hunts so far. Perfect for communicating with family. Makes them happy to hear from me a couple times while I am gone. Worked great with my iphone.

TXCO

WKR
Mine worked very well this past season with my Iphone. I actually got lost in an eveing fog heading back to camp one day in a series of ridges and was able to track my way out using it. Beware that if you use tracking/plotting on it that you should up your plan from the minimum as it charges for every plot (10 minutes). With your phone, you can download elevation maps for most places in the US and not need a gps or other map.

You can also log in from any computer and see you maps and trails which is really nice when review an area as you can see where you may have missed a small bowl or drainage.

bandit1

FNG
I use it paired to my iPhone. It's a great piece of gear, very reliable. I've always been able to get a good sat signal. Highly recommend.