Defiance sold to Bob Beck

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
TV host cited for illegal deer kill

Mr. Beck was required to pay $2,600, which included a $400 fine, restitution of $2,000 to Fish and Game and costs of $145. He also lost hunting privileges in Idaho and 37 other states for one year.
I've come to the conclusion that all "famous" hunters are jackasses in one way or another. I'm guessing the only benefit would be funding for increased production, but most investors aren't in it for the greater good of the product.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
TV host cited for illegal deer kill

Mr. Beck was required to pay $2,600, which included a $400 fine, restitution of $2,000 to Fish and Game and costs of $145. He also lost hunting privileges in Idaho and 37 other states for one year.

You ever read the whole story on that? I suggest you do. I know people that have done the same and got there hands slapped. Bob got lite up because of his influence in the industry IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BBob

WKR
You ever read the whole story on that? I suggest you do. I know people that have done the same and got there hands slapped. Bob got lite up because of his influence in the industry IMO.
Yes I have which is why I only posted the official outcome. My hope was that people would look it up and figure out for themselves where the truth might lie for them.

I normally wouldn’t post on this type of topic (buyouts, mergers, acquisitions, etc). However, in this this case I will. I’m a big Defiance fan. I’ve used their actions exclusively on all my builds. This news is really disappointing! My hope is that Bob will have very little influence on the products and day-to-day operations.

WildBoose

FNG
I normally wouldn’t post on this type of topic (buyouts, mergers, acquisitions, etc). However, in this this case I will. I’m a big Defiance fan. I’ve used their actions exclusively on all my builds. This news is really disappointing! My hope is that Bob will have very little influence on the products and day-to-day operations.
It's really a shame.....In other "grapevine gossip", Cooper Rifles of Montana has evidently sold and is relocating. I get the draw of $$$, but dang.....killing the small business mentality.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've come to the conclusion that all "famous" hunters are jackasses in one way or another. I'm guessing the only benefit would be funding for increased production, but most investors aren't in it for the greater good of the product.
While there are plenty of idiots in the industry, there are also a lot of really good people.

I've met Bob a few times and he seemed pretty decent. Don't know him well enough to pass judgement on his character one way or the other though so I won't.

This isn't just directed at you but for all our members. Making broad, generalized comments about a group like "all are idiots" sounds ignorant at best.

Well, that makes me slightly second guess what I thought I’d learned about Defiance by “researching” them prior to making an action purchase decision. Guess I got sucked into the YouTube vortex (the research, ha). I don’t have any reason to doubt their precision & quality in the short term that evidently is known and recommended. I look forward to having their action delivered and in hand.

WKR
From my experiences with McMillan, I think things are actually improved after the purchase. Not sure what he'll do if anything with Defiance but guessing he'll work hard to improve it too. Why else buy it?

6.5x284

WKR
I think it’ll be a good thing for the average consumer. Equal quality, better business management, less SKUs, probably drop some custom options and low volume items in favor of best sellers in stock at your dealers of choice. It’ll probably be frustrating for that guy that loved to play with unique offerings or small OEM volume smiths looking for a batch of 5 branded actions, etc… My guess anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sevens

WKR
I think it’ll be a good thing for the average consumer. Equal quality, better business management, less SKUs, probably drop some custom options and low volume items in favor of best sellers in stock at your dealers of choice. It’ll probably be frustrating for that guy that loved to play with unique offerings or small OEM volume smiths looking for a batch of 5 branded actions, etc… My guess anyway.

I would tend to agree with this based on doing almost 30 acquisitions at the company I work for in the past 2 years.

I just hope quality stays up so pre-fits can continue to be offered.

It should go a LONG way in decreasing their lead time. As long as quality remains, should be a good thing.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
LOL! You got me on this one. Seriously, I've not seen any of the gun companies better off once it trades hands. I saw this with Surgeon, Stiller, Nesika (another Glen company), McMillan, Dakota, etc. Here's hoping that Glen moves on to creating another company. I like my Defiance but will be interested to see what new innovations occurs in the coming years...Or is it PE tactics to lean it out to sell it and make a profit in ~5 years?