Deer tanned and shipped?

Does anyone have any experience getting a deer tanned in one state and shipped to a taxidermist in another? I live in Illinois and have a local taxidermist I trust (and he's affordable). I am flying in for a mule deer hunt in Arizona. If I am lucky enough to bag a wall hanger I am looking into taking the cape to a local taxidermist to have the cape prepped and shipped to my taxidermist in Illinois. This would eliminate the need to fly with the cape.

Has anyone done this before and have any tips? Do you think local taxidermist will have issue with prepping and sending off a cape to be tanned and shipped to a different location to be mounted?

Any deer and elk I have had done was caped and dropped off at my taxidermist and picked up from the same shop. So I am not super familiar with the process of taxidermy in general. I just know how to do my part, what happens after that is a mystery to me.

intunegp

WKR
Most taxidermists send out their tanning to larger tanneries. I don't see why, as long as you're paying, they'd have a problem shipping it elsewhere when it's all said and done. I'd inquire with some local (to your hunt) taxidermists to make sure they're willing to play ball. I'd think you could pay them and drop off the hide and they could send it out and have the tannery send the finished hide directly to your taxidermist at home.

TaperPin

WKR
I lived in an area with a couple of local small tanneries, and a couple larger ones a few hours away. Chit chatting with my taxidermist, he wouldn’t use most tanneries based on the high number of problems, and it was worth while for him to drive the 100 miles to drop off and pick up hides.

Now, if you use a tannery your taxidermist doesn’t usually use, if there is any kind of problem with anything, I’d bet breakfast at that fancy new place, that fingers get pointed back and forth between the tannery and taxidermist and you get screwed. If a professional has an established long term relationship and there’s a problem, both sides finger point much less and try harder to resolve it.

yfarm

WKR
As an aside, I have had multiple hides tanned hair on; deer,elk,axis, nilgai. In the past I have used Uber Leather(now Century Leather Products) in Owatonna Mn to do hair off and make shooting mittens and gloves. They did one hair on elk, nice work but took a year as their hair off business is their priority. Found a number of tanneries in Texas, none would accept a hide directly from a customer, said that I had to go thru a taxidermist to use their service. Several told me that they would be boycotted by the taxidermists if they did. Guy that did my axis actually does his own tanning and is a taxidermist, used him for a recent gorgeous blond and red elk hide, did a nice job just 2.5x the cost of Uber

WCB

WKR
Probably be less of a headache to just overnight or 2 day the hide frozen to your taxidermist. Also, if you are checking a bag just stick it in the middle of the bag it isn't a big deal at all.

My second option would be bring it to a taxidermist in AZ and have him prep and salt the hide then send it to your taxidermist. Let your Taxi send it to who he normally does and all will be good.

The taxi you first bring it to will probably up charge for the hassle voiding the "affordability" of your local guy. Also, you have to deal with his schedule...who knows when he sends stuff to get tanned or does he tan it himself and how good of a job does he do etc. . I still talk to guys whos taxidermists are telling them the tannery is still backed up and blah blah blah.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Check with your Illinois taxidermist - he may have a process or recommendation.

The one I use in town here, receives stuff from all over the world; most of what I have seen him receive is simply fleshed and salted. Shipped in burlap and a box. Be sure to verify tag/license info requirements too - just in case.

OP
jordanblnknshp
Probably be less of a headache to just overnight or 2 day the hide frozen to your taxidermist. Also, if you are checking a bag just stick it in the middle of the bag it isn't a big deal at all.

My second option would be bring it to a taxidermist in AZ and have him prep and salt the hide then send it to your taxidermist. Let your Taxi send it to who he normally does and all will be good.

The taxi you first bring it to will probably up charge for the hassle voiding the "affordability" of your local guy. Also, you have to deal with his schedule...who knows when he sends stuff to get tanned or does he tan it himself and how good of a job does he do etc. . I still talk to guys whos taxidermists are telling them the tannery is still backed up and blah blah blah.
Yeah, there is a chance it will fit in the bag we bring the meat back in. There's also a good chance it doesn't. The convenience of dropping it off somewhere and not having to worry about extra bags fees, or getting it back to my freezer in good condition is worth paying a little to have to have a taxidermist send it off to a tannery right away. I've looked into shipping a frozen item overnight and the cost would not be worth it ($500+). Taxidermist back home charges $500 for a deer. Family and friends all have used him for years, does great work and I trust him. Everyone I have references for in AZ charges $1000+ for a deer plus the price to ship it back home when it's finished. So I'd be paying 3x the cost for a guy I have no relationship with. Just not worth it for me.

It's funny that when I lived in Colorado the last 4 years (2019-2023) the Colorado taxidermist all said the tannery's were backed up and cost of product was super high. In Colorado I paid $1000 for a deer mount that looks okay but nothing special, took two years to get back. Due to this I drove my bull elk back to Illinois, where I am originally from, and got it back within a year and it cost $1200. Looks amazing. I don't understand why the going rate for a deer in Illinois is $500 but the rate out west is $1000. My $500 deer look twice as good as the $1000 ones that took twice as long. But oh well, it's why I will not be taking my mounts to anyone else but the guys I know in Illinois.

OP
jordanblnknshp
Check with your Illinois taxidermist - he may have a process or recommendation.

The one I use in town here, receives stuff from all over the world; most of what I have seen him receive is simply fleshed and salted. Shipped in burlap and a box. Be sure to verify tag/license info requirements too - just in case.
His recommendation was to take it to a local taxidermist to have it prepped, tanned and shipped to him. Its preference would be I drive the cape back or shoot the deer in Illinois. Too bad there's no Mule deer in Illinois

Weldor

WKR
Yeah, there is a chance it will fit in the bag we bring the meat back in. There's also a good chance it doesn't. The convenience of dropping it off somewhere and not having to worry about extra bags fees, or getting it back to my freezer in good condition is worth paying a little to have to have a taxidermist send it off to a tannery right away. I've looked into shipping a frozen item overnight and the cost would not be worth it ($500+). Taxidermist back home charges $500 for a deer. Family and friends all have used him for years, does great work and I trust him. Everyone I have references for in AZ charges $1000+ for a deer plus the price to ship it back home when it's finished. So I'd be paying 3x the cost for a guy I have no relationship with. Just not worth it for me.

It's funny that when I lived in Colorado the last 4 years (2019-2023) the Colorado taxidermist all said the tannery's were backed up and cost of product was super high. In Colorado I paid $1000 for a deer mount that looks okay but nothing special, took two years to get back. Due to this I drove my bull elk back to Illinois, where I am originally from, and got it back within a year and it cost $1200. Looks amazing. I don't understand why the going rate for a deer in Illinois is $500 but the rate out west is $1000. My $500 deer look twice as good as the $1000 ones that took twice as long. But oh well, it's why I will not be taking my mounts to anyone else but the guys I know in Illinois.
If your getting a Deer shoulder mount in AZ. for $1000 that is a good discount. Most are north of $1200. I would have it quick froze and take it yourself.

PWCGray

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If you can, take the cape home with you. Even if it is in carryon. Frozen in a cooler bag, etc...
A taxidermist in the hunt area will do prep for you but it is going to be at the end of the line, most likely, and probably more expensive than you think.... so now you have it at that taxidermist waiting in freezer for 3-4 months to turn/flesh/salt, then 2-4months at tannery, then your local taxidermist time.
You gotta be a little wary on this because I have had instances where a local taxidermist pushed for a shipped/tanned cape... but was charging the end user the same for the mount. There is a lot of effort in turning ears, eyes, lips and salting capes. When you get quoted a rate on a mount, that is usually all included.

Last edited:
I did this on a mule deer from Colorado, had the co taxi prep it an freeze dry the velvet then ship to va taxi who I trusted. Only negative was local guy still charged me same rate for mount plus I was out couple hundred for the co prep an shipping but the end result was worth the cost of admission for me.
Next couple I killed I cape a salt myself and freeze and just bring back with me. Another perk of driving.