Deer Herd Numbers vs Buck Harvest Rates

nphunter

WKR
Just want to start a conversation and maybe I will learn something. Oregon deer numbers are in the toilet and one of our biggest hunting groups OOC are pushing to reduce buck harvest numbers statewide. The reasoning is that we can't manage predators, no hounds, no nightvison, no IR for Cats or Bears, essentially they are stating that our only management tool is to cut numbers.

I haven't heard of an antlerless mule deer hunt in the state since the late 90's and really can't wrap my head around the idea that limiting the number of bucks killed will have any effect on the future of our deer herd. The only thing I can see is possibly a cat will jump on a buck back instead of a doe? Our deer numbers are low and almost every doe I see during the summer has a fawn early and most are gone by fall. We do have a major predator problem there there is no debate over that.

Just curious if I'm missing something on the benefit of cutting buck harvest, even more, several units have already seen over 50% reduction in the last several years.

Pooner

FNG
As with anything biological it all depends. Every situation and population is different. They all have different issues keeping them from reaching carrying capacity. Without knowing much about that population, the first thing I would look at is buck to doe ratios in the area.

From the mule deer biology books I’ve read hunting the bucks does not affect the herd as a whole unless the buck to doe ratios are critically low (less than 10:100 or so). Less bucks on the landscape also means more feed for the does and better chances for higher fawn recruitment. In reality I think most hunters don’t care how many does they see, they want to see bucks and big bucks. For that having less tags would help but I think it would need to be pretty drastic cuts in tags to see a real difference on the landscape.

In terms of bringing back struggling herds I don’t think anybody has it figured out, unfortunately. I am of the opinion that weather is the biggest factor (drought and winter kill depending on the area). I’m sure predators play a significant role especially when herds are down but with several years of “good” weather I think deer herds can respond well which has played out for the past 100 years or so.

pk_

WKR
Really the only way I have heard of buck numbers affecting population is if the ratio was so bad that all the does couldn’t be bred in an appropriate time for optimal fawn drop whether that be time of season or timing for predator swamping.

Sounds like they have already been cutting buck harvest and it isn’t working, so that to me is your answer…🤷‍♂️