Deer Decoys/ montana decoys?

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
I have a montana buck decoy (might have the doe too but for sure a buck) has anyone ever used it with any luck. We have used other decoys with really good luck but that was back in michigan.. any western guys have good luck with decoys and if so what decoys are you using? thanks, Craig

oldgoat

WKR
They work for small bucks during the rut, not sure about the big boys though. I like the Montana Decoy on public land, if I get to hunt on private again, I will probably buy one of the three dimensional types but think it would be too much trouble hauling in and out every day in public land. If the deer can see your decoy you can get away with all kinds of movement, had about the same luck with buck as doe decoys. Haven't tried them on mule deer yet

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used a carry lite for years. Makes does nervous but cab draw bucks in from a long ways off. I've had about 25 percent success with it. It's a pain to carry and only gets out a couple times a season. Also I've only used on private land

OP
HunterHawk

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up buying a decoy! Crazy how real this thing looks! It has like a 3D mesh on it which makes it look real but will also hold scent but I plan on spraying it down and using doe in heat by it... I can't wait to get it out in the woods! I had it airing out in the backyard and my neighbor called me to tell me I had a buck in the back yard! I also had my wife going too! So it definitely looks good! I plan on videoing it a little so hopefully have some footage to share!

oldgoat

WKR
Best luck I've had is to use Evercalm on the decoy and then do a scent trail with the doe in heat. I also like the aerosol doe in heat better than the bottles by far. The Evercalm is amazing for keeping the deer calm.

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
best 3 and last 3 I have killed have all come to decoy in Kansas with bow. first was at 8 yds last was at 22 yards. 151,168,204 Bc

danarnold

WKR
Ended up buying a decoy! Crazy how real this thing looks! It has like a 3D mesh on it which makes it look real but will also hold scent but I plan on spraying it down and using doe in heat by it... I can't wait to get it out in the woods! I had it airing out in the backyard and my neighbor called me to tell me I had a buck in the back yard! I also had my wife going too! So it definitely looks good! I plan on videoing it a little so hopefully have some footage to share!

What kind did you buy?

OP
HunterHawk

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I saw you tried to PM me.. Messages cleaned out.. It didn't have a brand name on it but I have a picture.. View attachment 30234 it is hard plastic with this 3D mesh... Yeah the mesh will hold scent but I was going to spray it down anyway and use other deer scents so I'm not worried. Looks awesome and I bought the primos tail wagger for it as well.. Just haven't put it on yet.. Pretty sure it will be a deadly combo!