Dedicated training pack

Thought I’d share what I came up with for a dedicated training pack. I wanted one I can keep in the truck, ready to go whenever I have the time.

Went with a Stryker XL on Duplex Lite frame.

Bought a 25 pound weighted blanket and rolled it into a Kifaru meat bag to approximate size of an elk quarter. Was able to cinch it tight and keep it up higher in the shelf.

Picked up a selection of plate weights. These fit perfectly in the sleeve inside the Stryker meat shelf area which also keeps the plates elevated.

Currently have a 20 pound plate in it so 45 pounds plus pack, water, etc. figure it will be about 55 pounds to start. As I get more time in the pack on the hills, I have a couple 10 pound plates and this 30 pounder I can gradually increase the weight with. By season I plan to regularly train with 70-80 pounds and an occasional 90-100. Hope to have my legs much more ready.

Love these plates as they don’t have sharp corners and edges but are rounded so I’m not worried about them damaging the material.

Going to start next week and really make this the year I can go a bit further if I need to without wondering if coming out heavy is possible.

What do others do for this?1A42154D-73B9-4EE3-8B14-EE643AE3B768.jpeg3096FE79-4D74-412B-9852-6B862B24C535.jpeg34DBCD25-5A17-49DE-B9E9-DB197BE33741.jpeg34E7ACD0-14CD-4E27-BAAD-F5B2F9E1CA2A.jpeg

Slugz

WKR
Those plates are what we have found to be the best.
Next best is a large dumbell when you get over 50lbs as its just nicer sometimes to have one large items to strap down.

Lesson learned for us. When using the pack several times a week all year I tend to wear out the straps pretty quick. ( padding wise)

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Eastonsgrandpa. I like the looks of those rectangular plates. I’ve not seen ones like those before. Where did you find those? Thank you. -Rufus

I use an MR NIcE frame and a crew cab.

I spend some time on the roads so I wrapped a reflective yellow vest around mine.

for weights I make “pills” out of play sand. #10-20 of dry play sand in a gallon zip lock. Contractor bags and duct tape into cylinders the width of the pack body. I put foam or a blanket in the bottom of the pack to make them ride in the middle of my back. I can mix and match weights up to 60#.

haven't tried those plates, but old school round weights burned through the nylon on my pack years ago When I used to play army So make sure your wrap them with something.

I have done this a few times, but generally just carry what I would carry on a hunt instead. It also helps to live in the area you hunt so you can do continually scouting. Now my rucking doesn’t feel like a chore or a work out.

OP
E
I have done this a few times, but generally just carry what I would carry on a hunt instead. It also helps to live in the area you hunt so you can do continually scouting. Now my rucking doesn’t feel like a chore or a work out.
I definitely do just scouting trips. This is training for bringing out the groceries. I live very close to the mountains on the Wasatch Front so can train on awful inclines.

I got them on Amazon. Called ruck plates.
Adding that these types of plates weren’t an option back when I was playing army and doing a lot of rucking. I did experiment with a lot of options - including tools, and there was one memorable time when we were locked out of a gated area and I happened to have a decent sized set of bolt cutters in my ruck.