Deck Refinishing Conundrum (What Paint to Use)

ewade07

WKR
So, I have taken on the task or redoing our deck. Its small (8'x18') and previously had been painted (primer underneath). I bought some Behr No. 64 (and Behr Nop. 63 stripper) wood refinisher thinking I could just slap that on there and get the old paint off. Well, I just tested out an area and that just isn't going to work, it strips the paint off decently but leaves the primer. I'm not about to pull all the wood off and re-deck the damn thing, so what are my options for paint? I have already power washed it a couple times. Can I just get some good outdoor/deck paint and paint right over it? Any and all suggestions on what to do and what paint to use would be greatly appreciated. Looking for something that will look good and not break the bank, and not take too much time (I got animals to kill!)

JFK

WKR
If the intention is to get it to bare wood so you can stain it, I’d rent a floor sander and have at it. Just make sure to counter sink your nails or screws before you run it and I’d imagine you’d have it done pretty quick. I hate paint stripper and pretty much always just sand stuff versus trying to use the chemicals. You can get a pole sander that takes half sheets to take it down to a smoother finish once it’s down to bare wood.

ben h

WKR
I haven't had much luck with the chemical paint removers. Unfortunately I think you're going to need to mechanically remove it. Floor sander or "osborn brushes" work pretty good. I wouldn't put anything back on your deck that seals it (such as paint). Use a penetrating stain, so you never have to strip it again, you can just add more when it needs it. Here's a link to a Forest Service study that tells you basically the same thing. They're not in buisness of selling you any magic deck stain, but they have millions of square feet of decks and this is what they came up with.

FOREST PRODUCTS LABORATORY FPL-046

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
Best way is to sand it down. I do hardwood floors and have sanded many decks. Just have to make sure no screws are sticking out. Kills the paper.

Mine is preserved 2x6's in full sun all day in a dry climate. No way I can drive the screws deeper, always stripping out the slots. Instead, I pressure wash then putty knife off any remaining loose stuff that's big. Slather on another layer of Baer Solid DeckPlus Waterproofing Deck Stain. Same color as the old. The less expensive stuff and the expensive stuff with texture (Premium Advanced Deckover Coating) both seem to last the same few years. I've been "almost ready" to rebuild with composites for the past decade. It's way cheaper to keep on slathering and replace a couple/few dry-rotted boads every year now because the originals are 32+ years old.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Behr makes a product called deck over that works good and comes in a couple different textures for non slip. AllFloor is another product. And most paint stores will have a product they recommend when it comes to painting decks and exterior floor substrates that will be walked on regularly.
Wether it’s painted or stained it will need the be repainted/re-stained every few years or so depending upon exposer and weather.

The primer/first coat soaks into the wood when it’s applied. So sanding it down to raw wood is the only option to apply stain and will require a lot of time and effort depending upon the sander you’re using. Also getting in between the deck boards is another story and most likely the old paint will will be seen through the stain.