December Elk hunt in Area 81 of Nevada

Ants

FNG
I drew a tag this year for a December hunt in area 81 of Nevada (the North-East corner of Nevada - bordering on Utah and Idaho). I don't know this area, though I will be able to do some decent scouting in the summer and early fall. My problem, is that I am not going to be able to scout in October or November, and anticipate that the Elk are going to move after I have done my scouting.

Does anybody know this area? Alternatively, does anyone have tips on how to spot/identify migration routes or winter feeding areas?

Hi Ants, congrats on the tag. I do know the area by hunting deer there. I ran into the foreman of the Trout CreeK Ranch there. His name is Mitch,he wes very helpful.You should stop in and introduce yourself. That may be all you need to do. Those cowhands know where the Elk are.

Sunspot

WKR
Be prepared for weather...it can get very snowy and cold that time of year which will restrict where you can go.

OP
A

Ants

FNG
Jeff, Great idea about asking the ranchers and cowhands, I will make a point of chatting them up.

Sunspot, I also appreciate the thoughts on the snow. My plan was to locate where they will likely be at that time of year and then work on the logistics of getting into those places with snow on the ground. This should be quite a fun hunt.