Daypack Tarp

Brendo91

FNG
Who packs an ultralight tarp in their daypack? I’ve been considering it and want to know if you guys find them useful. I would plan to use it as a meat tarp to keep things clean while quartering, glassing shade and emergency shelter. Is there anything else you use them for? I don’t want big or bulky so I was leaning toward a smaller one like a 5x7. Any thoughts?

Following this. Was considering a kifaru sheep tarp for high country mule deer. Want to see the replies

I have one with me more often than not. Jimmy tarps 5x7 is cheap and gets it done. its enough room for one to wait out some rain. Cozy for two. If you end up sleeping under it 7 feet is less coverage than you will want for any rain / wind combo. I have a zpack 8x10 that was stupid $$$ even on sale but it is big enough for an actual shelter for 1-2 and is 10-11oz with stakes and plenty of guy lines for various shelter configurations.

some of the convertible ponchos like six moons and mountain laurel are worh a look for multiuse gear. A Mylar space blanket is another option. With or without a tarp, they can be handy in a pinch and work just fine as a meat tarp too.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Sheep tarp is pretty nice size wise for this function. I’ve left mine behind a lot the last few years and going to start carrying more depending on the weather forcast.

I added one to my pack for 2022. Used it as a legit shelter one night, backpacking, clear weather. Then day hunting after that I used it a couple times to wait out rain showers. I would have used it as a meat tarp if it made sense. I prefer silpoly (cheaper, lighter, less durable) for this function. Rationale: I don't need it to survive a brutal wind storm, I can patch any holes no problem, I may be quite hard on it.

Mine is a Bear Paw Wilderness Design but there are many similar products out there.

Tod osier

WKR
I added one to my pack for 2022. Used it as a legit shelter one night, backpacking, clear weather. Then day hunting after that I used it a couple times to wait out rain showers. I would have used it as a meat tarp if it made sense. I prefer silpoly (cheaper, lighter, less durable) for this function. Rationale: I don't need it to survive a brutal wind storm, I can patch any holes no problem, I may be quite hard on it.

Mine is a Bear Paw Wilderness Design but there are many similar products out there.

Yes, I have a cuben 10x10 from bear paw that I carry. Compact and a lifesaver if you need it. Bigger is better if you need it.

Saved our bacon once.
vbbDaCS.jpg

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a cheap and light tent footprint from big Agnes when the were $5. Worked great this year for shade and meat care. Weighs a few ounces and takes up next to no space

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ya that DST is legit. I still want one of those. We use those are fair weather 2 and 3 man backpacking trips. It's a little big/heavy/expensive for a 'throw away' tarp but a fine product. I like that patch of nylon in the very center for hosting a trekking pole, the one plus the DST has over lesser products.

I carry a 7x10 aquaquest silnylon tarp and 550 cord. I’ve found that it’s just as easy to throw that up between two trees to wait out a high country thunderstorm as it is to get out rain gear, especially if it’s the kids and me and I’m not in any need to keep moving. I’ve also used that with a ridge pole when the tent collapsed one night under a snow load. In some places a temporary shade shelter is a real godsend.

I’ve spent many nights sleeping on or under a military silnylon poncho which I used to always carry. They’re basically tarps with head holes. When I was stationed in the Midwest I learned that for backpacking in the rain a poncho really beat rain bear for ventilation and fighting condensation.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I always have a zpacks ground sheet, think it’s 4x7 and weighs 3oz. I use it for a meat tarp, will wrap up in it to wait out weather or if I don’t have rain gear, and can sleep one under it in emergencies. Never leaves the pack.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I bought a cheap and light tent footprint from big Agnes when the were $5. Worked great this year for shade and meat care. Weighs a few ounces and takes up next to no space

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, I bought 4 of them.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I started carrying one 3 seasons ago. For me its one of those items I don't know what I did before I had one. It just lives in my pack. I hunt and scout in a lot of hot weather and have used it countless times for shade as well as ridden out some rain storms. I have a bear paw designs silpoly 9.5'x6.5' and I think it weighs 10oz. I saw other guys in this thread mention they also have the same brand but I have to say the craftsmanship on mine isn't exactly top notch. My buddy I hunt with has a kifaru sheep tarp that is much nicer and when I need to replace will go that route.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Seek Outside DST never leaves my pack nowadays. Plenty big for my client, packer and I to get under. Pitches really well with two trekking poles and a stick for the center.

Packed a chunk of tyvek for ages and started having grommets pull out in heavy wind. Tyvek packs down really small if you can flat fold but for a stuff and go quick it takes up a lot of room. My only other complaint is that it’s loud unless you toss it in the washing machine. The downside to that is that it loses some waterproofing and strength.

The Seek Outside DST has been a great tarp!

I asked SO to modify my DST, by bar tacking Line-Loc 3’s, at each guy-out point.

For my stake / cord kit, I used MSR Groundhogs and Lawson Equipment Reflective Glowire.

From my perspective, I’ve figured out a good system for these tarps…..that uses different colored guy-lines to designate cord length.

Black = 2’ (x4)
Red = 4’ (x3)
Orange = 6’ (x2)
Yellow = 8’ (x1)

In other words ….. as the cord length increases ….. the cord color gets lighter.

When quickly setting up the tarp, I decide what length of cord I need, grab the corresponding color with the already attached stake, pound the stake into the ground, then thread the tail end of the cord through the Line-Loc 3 tensioner.

This setup has made things really convenient.

Also, by having pre-tied cordage on stakes, the connection is solid and won’t allow the cord to pop off the stake head in high winds. Plus, having the ability to adjust tension, while under the tarp, is a lot nicer than having to circle the tarp making adjustments at the staked out connections.