Day Six Evo Broadhead Help

I've read so many good reviews that I have to be the anomaly. Maybe someone on here can tell me if this is become more common or if I just got a bad batch. I ordered three (3) of the Evo 100gr with 3/4" bleeders and three (3) of the Evo X 125gr with 1/2" bleeders from Black Ovis and have issues with all of them. For $200 I expected better quality.

First issue was I noticed one of the 100gr heads has some surface rust on the bleeder blade and when I went to feel the edge they all felt noticeably dull. I checked the 125s and they felt dull as well. None of the 6 I got will even cut hair on the back of my hand. They will barely cut through the edge of a piece of paper and yet a used box cutter blade I had laying around will easily slice through the same piece of paper. They don't look used and as far as I can tell they are all new. From all the reviews I've read these should have been razor sharp out of the box.

I always weigh my broadheads to see how true to advertised weight they are. I expect a little variance plus or minus but here is what I got. The 100gr heads with the 3/4" bleeders should weigh in at about 105gr but they were 109.0, 108.4, and 108.2 grains. I know they say the 3/4" bleeders add approximately 5gr so this may be close enough, I just don't know what they consider acceptable. The 125gr heads with 1/2" bleeders should be right at 125gr but they were 129.8, 128.7, and 128.1 grains. I thought maybe they accidentally installed 3/4" bleeders, which would account for some of the extra weight, but they measured right at 0.5" on each one. I measured the bleeders on the 100gr heads also and they were only 0.68" each, when they should be 0.75". The length of the main blade was right on at 1-3/16" but the width was only 1-1/32" not 1-1/16". Again not sure what acceptable tolerances are. The length and width of the main blade on the 125gr heads was all spot on plus the bleeders were right at 1/2" so that's why I wonder why the 100gr heads are off both on main blade width and bleeder width?

Lastly all 6 of the threads on the ferrule have fine stainless steel hairs from where the threads were cut. I had to go over each of them with a brush and run them in and out of an old arrow to clean up the threads. This isn't a huge deal but for a premium broadhead like this I expected more.

I know I may sound overly critical but I had really high hopes for these and when I got them I was just disappointed.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I wouldn't worry about 3-4 grains, especially when theyre all consistent with each other to within 2 grains. I just don't think it's going to matter. If the fine burs from machining brushed right off then I would throw them on an arrow and roll. But if you've got concerns they really do have awesome service.

Fullfan

WKR
Sounds like ironwills. I have 12-15 of the 100 gn solids. They are all over the place from 98-105. And loose bleeders. Contacted them and even sent them a video of the bleeders. Was told not to worry about it. Sure hope 6 day has better customer service than Iw does.

dkime

WKR
Headed to Alaska to hunt caribou so I won’t have my phone on me for awhile. If anyone has any issues make sure you email or call us, hunting season is upon us but someone is always in the office

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jstanton007
Headed to Alaska to hunt caribou so I won’t have my phone on me for awhile. If anyone has any issues make sure you email or call us, hunting season is upon us but someone is always in the office

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do, thank you for the reply!

OP
jstanton007
Update. Bryan with Day 6 reached out to me on Sunday and offered to refund the purchase, even though I bought from Black Ovis, in order to expedite and stream line my return. Today I received the return shipping label and he refunded me via Venmo with a little extra over what I paid.

While I didn't have a great experience with the quality of what I received, I truly believe this was an anomaly and in no way indicative of the quality of product they produce. Additionally, anyone considering buying Day 6 broadheads should buy with confidence knowing that if you are not happy with the product, they will make it right. Their customer service is top notch!

I got some Day6 EvoX heads today. Took a bit for them to show up, apparently they are busy sending them out, go figure it's right ahead of western hunting season. I got like 6 weeks at this point, since I'm currently married to the farm and my westward trips are getting more and more castrated.

Showed up today, something new to mess with. Took hair off my arm like candy from a baby, and everything is nice and tight.

Be a week or so yet before I get to play with them.

I got the larger bleeders, so I think they are supposed to be 5 grain heavier, there's some variations between heads.

20240826_181319.jpg

This was after a little warm up, probably 2-3 minutes. It's measuring just a little high.

Went through all of them, wrote the weights on each head for the little it's worth.

20240826_181851.jpg

I'd venture a guess that I'm in a pretty top percentage of shooters that post here, I have gone down all kinds of different worm holes and measured and shot different setups in a lot of different ways. Weights don't bother me nearly as much as they use to. It's something very easy to check for the common consumer, about the cheapest thing to buy to check anything, and the weight variations if within 10 grains or so per shaft matter very little. Additionally, arrow reaction is what matters more, and a lighter weight shaft will 9/10 times be a weaker spine than a heavier shaft, so throwing a heavier point weight on that shaft to make it weigh closer to others is actually counter to what you want. Tho with a centershot compound bow, it really doesn't matter unless you are on the cusp of too weak.

With a shooting machine, arrow variations that fall withing 5 grains, don't really matter, let alone shooter ability thrown into the mix.

P Carter

WKR
Mine were wicked-sharp right out of the box, and they're really tough. Two passthroughs on a bull. The first one went through so easily I thought I'd missed. I use one as a practice head year-round, and it takes a few passes on a sharpener to get back to razor-sharp. You might have had an anamoly, sorry to hear, the opposite of my experience!

OP
jstanton007
Update.

I gave them another try, I really want to like these heads, and ordered another 3 pack of Evo-X 125gr with 1/2" bleeders. Given lead times I've heard from others I gambled and ordered another set from Black Ovis since they were in stock, ready to ship. Same thing, dull out of the box and would not cut a hair, no rust this time like the others though. Ran them over a strop and they sharpened right up. Weights were 128.6, 129.8, and 128.3 grains. The weight variation over advertised doesn't bother me from a shooting stand point its more of when you buy a premium product you expect premium quality. I weighed out 12 exodus 125s and 6 Sevr Hybird 125s and they were all within +/- 1.5 grain of 125. Same issue with the threads again, rough cut and fine hairs. Again not a huge deal but for over $30 a piece I expect better.

Now for the field trials. I shot one into a foam target about 8-10 times. Flight was good, needed a small adjustment on my rest and then it would hit with my field point every time. Had a very slight, swoosh sound in flight, but definitely one of the quietest fixed blade heads I've shot. After the last shot, when I pulled it from the foam target, I noticed the tip had broke! The very end of the point chipped off, in foam! I was able to grind it back to a point and resharpen it, since it was my practice head, but dang was I disappointed. I know the blades are replaceable but if it wont stand up to a foam target how could I trust it in the field.

I know so many other people have had great success with these but I guess I am just cursed with Day 6. I wonder if it has anything to do with a batch that Black Ovis ordered as these all came from them. Whatever the reason, I don't think I can trust these in the field and in my opinion they are not worth the price point based on the quality of broadheads I have received.

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot somewhere north of a dozen critters with an Evo and I've been nothing short of impressed with the quality, durability and sharpness. This Evo went through a bull last night at 10 yards and careened off a scree pile behind him and buried itself in the mountain dirt. Elk didn't know he was hit, walked 80 yards and tipped over. First time trying the CS system – extremely happy with it so far. Still spins great. There is less than a zero percent chance a foam target would do anything to these blades (other than gradually dulling).
evo.jpg

OP
jstanton007
I don't know what to tell you other than you are wrong. I have no reason to make that up. Your experience is what many others have shared with me, and why I gave them a second chance, but my experience with them has been the exact opposite. Don't get me wrong, when they are sharp they penetrative extremely well, better than anything I've seen.