Day pack for pack in hunt

nebhunt

WKR
What pack do you use for day hunting if you have packed into a backcountry area to hunt several days? Planning on a 10 day hunt and will carry everything on my Kifaru pack. I don't really care to lug that pack around during day hunting to haul the items that might be needed for a day hunt. Putting items in a coat or pant pockets aren't ideal either. Should I try and bring a small pack along like the Tenzing sling pack? What are you suggestions?

I do exactly the same thing and have found that the KUIU Venture 1800 or 2300 are perfect.. They are constructed very well, can be worn with or without the belt and accomadate everything I need. They both are rigged for a water blatter and have enough pockets and separation for food, clothes, small gear, etc.. Also, I sometimes strap the 500 to it for added capacity or gear I need to get out quickly or spotting scope, etc..

So you are hiking back in for a 10 day hunt or you are taking plane/horses back in for a 10 day hunt ?

Just simplify and get one bag you like. Two bags seems simpler but it’s not because you’ll eventually get “items and gadgets” split between both bags and forget where everything is organized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My stone glacier pack lid detaches and can be worn around the waist for small day treks. And some of the pockets that come with it can even be detached and then attached to bino harness on your back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the same pack and frame the entire time. Miles add up quickly and not having a frame to haul meat sucks. These high end packs cinch down extremely small. I would say use the same pack and frame you already have the entire time, or get a smaller pack you like better and just use that the entire time and utilize the meat the shelf to help haul gear.

Last edited:

bcnorth

FNG
I pack in with my 5500 exo bag and frame but roll up my 1800 exo pack and stuff it in the 5500. When i get camp set up i quickly switch over to the 1800 bag. Its worth it for me

Seeknelk

WKR
Every hunt , every which way is all with my exo 5500. Day hunt, backpack hunt, 1 hr evening hunt. A smaller day pack might be what? 1 pound or two lighter for one I can't then pack half or the whole critter out or back to base camp.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Zero chance I pack in a separate pack for day hunts during a backpack hunt. Honestly, if your primary pack can’t be configured for day hunts from your backpack camp spot I’d recommend choosing a different pack.

Randle

WKR
If I still used Kifaru I would use a organized guide lid or Sherman pocket setup. Add aliKeep all my day gear in them , add water bottle or bag as needed and go that route.add alittle padding to some straps.
Intigrates with pack system and detachs for final stalk or day trips quickly.

Last edited:

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Is your plan to use the kif as a hauler to get 10 days of stuff into camp, swap to a day pack til you kill something, go back to camp and get the kif, hike back to the dead animal to pack it back to camp, then return to the woods with your day pack until 10 days is up or all tags are filled..? Save time, weight and effort and carry the same pack the whole hunt.. Unless you intend to literally hunt at camp, you're going to wish you had weight carrying capacity at some point if you get a critter down. I've used both my SG and kif to pack in camp and then wore them for the whole hunt. I may break off my lid to slim the profile, but taking two packs has never seemed like a good idea. It's like dropping your pack for a short stalk and then 2 miles later realizing you gotta hump all the way back to get it before you keep hunting.