Davis Tent, Single Shot Tent review, by Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I was offered the opportunity to try out Davis Tent's new Single Shot shelter and will post up a review on it after the coming hunting season.

This is a unique shelter. It is made out of the same materials and construction Davis Tent uses on their bigger cotton wall tents but designed as a solo tent. There won't be any backpacking going on here with the Single Shot, the claimed weight is 25lbs with poles.

This tent is for truck camping on the move. I can see using it when I have a basecamp set up in a central area but want to explore and need to throw up a shelter for a night before continuing to move and search. I have slept in the tuck many nights while exploring and searching this way and the Single shot might make my sleep more comfortable in those situations.

Let me know if there is any questions you would like answered.

Davis Tent, Single Shot

I have been somewhat interested in one of their smaller wall tents, but I just don't see the utility of this setup. I only glanced at the pictures and description, but for 25lb, I imagine this thing is fairly bulky with poles and 18 stakes.

The price looks good, I can only see this setup as a novelty though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have been somewhat interested in one of their smaller wall tents, but I just don't see the utility of this setup. I only glanced at the pictures and description, but for 25lb, I imagine this thing is fairly bulky with poles and 18 stakes.

Bulky, how so? Poles break down into sections. Looks like this would break down into a package smaller than most outfitter sized cots would break down. Guarantee this is 1000x more breathable than a comparable nylon tent, with more headroom. Setup would be a lot quicker than any of their smaller wall tents. Now, if you need standing room, this one isn't it. But for run and gun scouting trips or hunting where you change spots a lot, this one would be far less annoying than breaking down a wall tent every day or so to change locations.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

@sneaky I agree, it's obviously much more breathable than nylon. Most of the pictures show it setup in a lean-to fashion, undeniably breathable.

The "deluxe small duffle bag" listed as an option is 37"x24" and the "standard canvas tent bag" is 40"x20". I am pretty comfortable calling that "fairly bulky."

I also think the shape looks like it would catch a lot of wind. That must be where the 18 stakes come in?

My opinion, at first blush, is that this tent solves a problem that doesn't exist. Maybe Tony's review will show otherwise?

It's good to have options and I'm sure this is perfect for someone.

I agree. I can set up my 10x10 Kodiak in a few minutes by myself and then would have way more room.