Damn foxtail in the dog's nose......

MJB

WKR
So I wake up to Zika sneezing her head off with light blood coming out.
Tossed her in the tub grabbed the olive oil and poured it down her throat and nose. The 3rd time did the trick......what a mess, doing this in the field would get everything covered in oil then dirt!

A small squeeze bottle would be a great option for in the field so you could get more in the nose and throat that just pouring it on the nose.

Good hounds man hack first time having to use it and it worked great!

Billinsd

WKR
It's kinda early, gets worse later on when they dry out. I try and stay out of it until they fall down in September or so. I saw a foxtail muzzle filter that looks interesting.

Never knew. Thanks for sharing. I panicked when my dog got some shit up his nose. Same deal. NON STOP sneezing then blood. Sovled itself. I'll try the oil next go

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I hate foxtail. Not good for the cows and if you get a big enough patch in the hay it’ll pretty much ruin the bale.

Button

WKR
Please elaborate. I assume y’all are talking about a plant dangerous to pets and livestock?
Very curious.

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Please elaborate. I assume y’all are talking about a plant dangerous to pets and livestock?
Very curious.
They’re a plant. They are kind of are like a sliver but can get stuck on the inside of a animal not only the outside. It can give the cows sores on their nose and mouths if they eat it after it’s headed out. I bet you’ve seen them before while hunting. They can stick to your socks/ boot laces if you walk through them. Google a picture of them and I bet you’ll know exactly what it is from seeing a picture of it.

TSAMP

WKR
Been there. Never heard of the olive oil trick. Mine passed after a couple days. Almost did the rhinoplasty procedure. 1500 bucks with no promise they find a thing.

Here you go button:

Here is the dangerous part:

59976002-C29F-4190-B7C5-A03714184118.png

We have something similar in Texas called speargrass. As a vet, I take them out of ears, skin and sometimes noses. But you are going to the wrong vet if they want to charge you $1500. Including sedation it usually costs about $100 to remove one from the nose in my clinic. Most times I can remove them from ear canals without sedation. I am embarrassed what my profession is coming too price wise. Corporations are taking over. ☹️👎

As far as pouring oil down a dogs nose, I’m not recommending that.

Last edited:
Been there. Never heard of the olive oil trick. Mine passed after a couple days. Almost did the rhinoplasty procedure. 1500 bucks with no promise they find a thing.
Nice looking Pudelpointer, I had to take mine to the vet the other day after being in some foxtails and she started shaking her head constantly. Turned out to be a stem from some grass or something I couldn’t see but I didn’t want to risk a foxtail embedding deep, I had a buddy who had to spend $1k+ getting one out of his lab a couple years ago. Fortunately my vet trip was only $129 this time since she was was surprisingly able to keep her shit together and not have to get sedated…

TSAMP

WKR
Here you go button:

Here is the dangerous part:

View attachment 404666

We have something similar in Texas called speargrass. As a vet, I take them out of ears, skin and sometimes noses. But you are going to the wrong vet if they want to charge you $1500. Including sedation it usually costs about $100 to remove one from the nose in my clinic. Most times I can remove them from ear canals without sedation. I am embarrassed what my profession is coming too price wise. Corporations are taking over. ☹️👎

As far as pouring oil down a dogs nose, I’m not recommending that.
I think the vet just tried to flush it. That was around $100. Then referred me for a rhinnoscopy to a surgeon or speciality clinic. I did call 3 places to check price as well. By the time they were able to see him he was doing much better and they reccomended I just wait it out.

It can all be pretty frustrating. Just like pad injuries. But can't keep him in a bubble.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
My Dad lost the best squirrel dog we ever had to a 3" piece of briar in the dog's lungs. Healthy, young dog all of a sudden lethargic and losing weight. Stayed at vet on antibiotics, etc. Vet was very perplexed he couldn't figure out what was wrong and asked to perform a necropsy when the dog died. My dad still has the piece of briar that was found.