Dads of Rokslide

Include your kids in your hobbies from the start, but also prioritize your kids over your hobbies.

For the first couple years you just need to be focused on building a strong relationship with your baby and helping their mother. If you hunt a lot be prepared to dial it way back, it’ll be temporary.
After that find ways to include them in what you like to do, even if it means not doing exactly what you would normally do. Put your toddler in a backpack carrier and take them hiking or scouting. Give up fly fishing for a few years in exchange for catching farm pond bluegill on nightcrawlers. Replace some backcountry hunting days with family camping trips or squirrel hunting.

If your kid has a positive relationship with the outdoors you’ll be able to hunt a lot more in the long run because it’ll be something your kid wants to do too.

Include your kids in your hobbies from the start, but also prioritize your kids over your hobbies.

For the first couple years you just need to be focused on building a strong relationship with your baby and helping their mother. If you hunt a lot be prepared to dial it way back, it’ll be temporary.
After that find ways to include them in what you like to do, even if it means not doing exactly what you would normally do. Put your toddler in a backpack carrier and take them hiking or scouting. Give up fly fishing for a few years in exchange for catching farm pond bluegill on nightcrawlers. Replace some backcountry hunting days with family camping trips or squirrel hunting.

If your kid has a positive relationship with the outdoors you’ll be able to hunt a lot more in the long run because it’ll be something your kid wants to do too.
This is very well written and I agree 100%.

No matter how much of a bond you have with your child don’t lose sight of the fact that you are the adult and they are the child. That line has to be there.

Be present, be engaged, as men our time with our children can be incredibly limited. So knowing that, it’s important to make the time we do get quality time.
What do you remember about being a child? What memories do you have of your parents that are important to you? Do that, try to replicate that. Include your children in your interests but engage with what they are interested in too, they aren’t always going to like the same things as you. Tell them you love them and you’re proud of them.
I listened to my dad sit beside my grandfather on his deathbed and tell him that he wish he would have told him that my grandpa was proud of him. It was too late then and it was something I was never supposed to hear.

Any other dads reading this, go tell your kids you love them and you’re proud of them. Do it right now. They need to know.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Take your time. I mean this in every conceivable way it can be taken. Slow down and be intentional. They grow up FAST!! They are ALWAYS watching you. There will be other people in their life (child care, teachers, etc.) that will have more waking minutes with your kiddo than you do. But the minutes with mom and dad weigh infinitely more in their eyes.

But also take YOUR time. It's easy for some to lose themselves in the pressure of parenthood. Make time to do the things you enjoy and be yourself. You were a person before you were a parent. Involve your kiddo in the things you love! But it never hurts to take some time for yourself if you need to recharge and be a happier dad! Remember! They're watching!

I can’t thank you men enough. These have been incredible to read on this gloomy morning at work. My wife is due in November with our first baby girl and to say I’m a bit nervous would be an understatement
You got this man, it’s the easiest and hardest thing you’re ever going to do. It’s also the most rewarding. It’s going to be hard the first few months but you’ll get through it, we all have. I have two girls, they’re going to melt your heart and give you gray hair at the same time.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A single kid feels like a lot of work because its a shift from not having a little thing to take care of but if we're honest in hindsight one kid is not that much of a load for two adults. Anyone that has 2 or more kids will testify to that reality. Two is alot more load and 3+ is whack a mole mode.

Don't loose sight of your relationship, make sure open and clear communication is prioritized (need BOTH on board) so neither party develops a resentment. Neither party should utterly sacrifice themselves (real or imagined) to prop up the child and other spouse. Both parties need to be seen and appreciated for what they're putting into the situations. If that isn't happening get in front of that issue, including counseling if needed, cause that is the stuff the erodes away a relationship in the wake of kids imho.

Just roll with it.
Your life will be turned upside down in ways you can't even imagine over the first six months. Just roll with it.
There will be good days and bad days, and probably more of the latter. Just roll with it.
You will deal with more poop, piss, barf, and stinky cottage cheese (iykyk) than ever before. Just roll with it.
You'll be walking around a colicky infant for hours in the middle of the night. Just roll with it.
It will be the best experience of your life and you'll be bummed when it's over. Just roll with it.

92xj

WKR
routine.
Figure one out that works for you and mom and train kid to it. Stick to it every day. Start it as soon as possible in life.
When you have it down and the kid is trained, your afternoons, evenings and nights will be amazing compared to all your friends that will be bitching about their horrible evenings and nights.