CVA Accura MR Peep/Globe Options

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I have a CVA Accura MR (not the newer MR-X) which was originally setup with a scope but now needs to be switched over to open sights. Contradicting to what I’ve read in some older threads, the rifle came drilled for a front sight directly from factory. I’m very interested in peep and globe options but all the older threads it seems people have had issues with sighting in elevation due to the rifle’s high comb stock. Did anyone find a simple and good fitting peep and globe setup (maybe by using a particular rail) for this rifle that doesn’t require advanced shimming or bedding?

I believe the issue you are referring to has been resolved by Williams. I have an Accura V2 and MR-X and will be receiving 2 sets of the WWPRS FOS and Sight Card Inserts later this week. I've done initial development with both these guns (scope attached). In the next few weeks I'll will be swapping out scopes for the WWPRS system and re-sighting/fine tuning both muzzy loads for CO bull elk this Fall. Now is the time to sort out/experiment with this stuff before it gets close to the opener. Good luck.

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the issue you are referring to has been resolved by Williams. I have an Accura V2 and MR-X and will be receiving 2 sets of the WWPRS FOS and Sight Card Inserts later this week. I've done initial development with both these guns (scope attached). In the next few weeks I'll will be swapping out scopes for the WWPRS system and re-sighting/fine tuning both muzzy loads for CO bull elk this Fall. Now is the time to sort out/experiment with this stuff before it gets close to the opener. Good luck.
Can you please let me know how it goes when you receive the sights? I’m particularly interested in Williams. I heard they fixed the issue for the MR-X’s but I wasn’t sure if that means the sights should now work on the original MR’s.

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
There's an old thread on this. I basically followed cowboy300's setup.

This was one of the threads that confused me and was hoping someone found a simpler solution in the years since. I noticed cowboy300’s gun is a plains rifle. I’m not sure how different, if any, the MR would be. What CVA was yours?

Mine is a plains rifle I believe. I also think the difference may have just been barrel length when I got it. The high comb made it a pain to get it right.

I went with a two-piece weaver base and xs ghost ring for the rear. The xs aperture I got from Brownells. On the front I had to go with a high ramp which I think I got from Williams, my globe and reticle card I think we're Lyman.

It was frankly inconvenient to piece together and it looks pretty janky.

I ended up having to take it to a gunsmith when I had trouble with the dovetails from the globe to ramp.

I definitely ignored the part where it said the gun was not meant for open sights. I figured they tapped it at the factory and I liked the stock. I should have asked to remove the factory scope mount while in the store.

I just ordered a Williams western precision sight for my accura plains rifle…. Should I expect the elevation issues you guys are talking about?

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a Williams western precision sight for my accura plains rifle…. Should I expect the elevation issues you guys are talking about?
In the older threads it seemed like all the Accuras were having issues. Let us know how yours works out as I’m really interested in Williams as well.

I put it on today. The peep is a little lower then I’d prefer but not too bad. I’ll go try to sight it in next week and see how it goes

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I put it on today. The peep is a little lower then I’d prefer but not too bad. I’ll go try to sight it in next week and see how it goes
I hope you’re not hitting low. What distance do you plan on sighting in at? 100 yards? Please follow up.

Gman045

FNG
I received the Williams sights and the screw for the rear sight is too small. I called CVA and they sent me the same too small screw.
For sure what sights to try next
CVA MR

FINALLY got out today to shoot the western precision sights. With my accura plains rifle, with the rear sight all the way bottomed out , I’m shooting 4-5” high at 100 yds. Kind of a bummer, but puts my zero at 150 so I’ll just aim 5” low or so from 100 yards in, not that big of a deal. Another issue I’m having is I have to really push my cheek against the stock to get low enough to get a good sight picture. The plains rifle unfortunately has a rise in the stock to help with cheek weld using scopes. Overall it’s still a huge upgrade over regular iron sights. After this season I’ll likely put the scope back on the plains rifle and just buy a wolf or optima to put the open sight on. I was shooting 3-4” groups at 150 yds, good enough for me!

Oh one other thing, I took the little screw in peep off the rear sight, I feel like it gives me a better look at the front globe vs leaving the peep on, so if you have trouble seeing the whole globe like I was , give it a try