Custom Rifle questions.

BigFaus

FNG
So just a few questions for the guys that have done custom builds or semi custom builds.

I've been playing around with the idea of a custom rifle build but I want it to be a complete DIY project. It's looking like for a full custom my best bet would probably be to build off a terminus zeus action with the quick change. I'm not sure yet if I would want to run multiple calibers but the functionality to do so would definitely be nice. Are there any other recommendations or suggestions of actions I could utilize being strictly DIY? If my understanding is correct I could buy a vice and a barrel wrench to torque the barrels on. I don't have any experience with this but I have built a few ARs and can't imagine torqueing the barrel is much different.

I also thought about the semi-custom tikka route. Everyone says they shoot great and I would really only want to swap the stock to something more aesthetically pleasing and ergonomically friendly than the factory stock. Is this as simple as I would imagine? I would probably be looking at a lightweight hunting stock maybe a manners or mcmillan.

Any thoughts and insight are appreciated in advance. Thanks all!

4B74D894-1C67-4F02-91B1-CF15FE479A55.jpeg
I put my T3x in an MDT HNT 26 chassis and adjusted the trigger pull to 2.0 lbs. The rifle is light, the vertical grip is comfortable, and it shoots factory ammo sub MOA. Quite pleased with this setup.

Can’t comment on the full custom route.

OP
B

BigFaus

FNG
View attachment 475713
I put my T3x in an MDT HNT 26 chassis and adjusted the trigger pull to 2.0 lbs. The rifle is light, the vertical grip is comfortable, and it shoots factory ammo sub MOA. Quite pleased with this setup.

Can’t comment on the full custom route.
You were able to swap the chassis yourself without issue? Thanks for the input.

axeforce6

WKR
I’ve gone the custom route a couple times and the semi custom a couple times. If you have the funds go custom. Terminus makes great actions. So I feel you’re on the right track. You should plan for the possibility of future barrels. Bolt swap will be needed if you go from standard to mag. You could save some money and look into a zermatt and just do a bolt head swap if you want. The swap is pretty straight forward. Same for the barrel. Barrel vise. Action wrench. Torque to spec and go shoot. It’s preset fun and makes it easy to have multiple rifles on one action.

Ucsdryder

WKR
The only thing that matters is whether you pick a good smith or a crap smith. Let me repeat that…the only thing that matters is your smith.

OP
B

BigFaus

FNG
I’ve gone the custom route a couple times and the semi custom a couple times. If you have the funds go custom. Terminus makes great actions. So I feel you’re on the right track. You should plan for the possibility of future barrels. Bolt swap will be needed if you go from standard to mag. You could save some money and look into a zermatt and just do a bolt head swap if you want. The swap is pretty straight forward. Same for the barrel. Barrel vise. Action wrench. Torque to spec and go shoot. It’s preset fun and makes it easy to have multiple rifles on one action.
Do you have experience with both? Is the terminus worth the price difference? The swap did seem pretty straight forward. Not using a 60 degree bolt throw before not sure if that would justify the price increase.

axeforce6

WKR
Do you have experience with both? Is the terminus worth the price difference? The swap did seem pretty straight forward. Not using a 60 degree bolt throw before not sure if that would justify the price increase.
I have a terminus Kratos lite on order. I bought it after shooting one. I love a short boot throw. To me it’s the perfect action. Great after market support. Great for hunting. And very accurate.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If my understanding is correct I could buy a vice and a barrel wrench to torque the barrels on. I don't have any experience with this but I have built a few ARs and can't imagine torqueing the barrel is much different.
As far as "torqueing" the barrel onto the Zeus its as simple as hand tight and then put the set screws in! No vise or action wrench required! And to make it even easier they have made threaded trigger pins so there is no way to mess up putting a trigger on! Once you have the barreled action put together you can get a chassis and drop it in. In order to put it in the chassis all you need to do is put the barreled action in and then point the rifle up (creating good contact between the chassis and recoil lug). Then you can simply tighten the front action screw, then rear action screw. Once you have them both snug you will torque them both to the manufacturers spec (we use 65 inch lbs). Its a pretty easy process!

Gila

WKR
Sounds like you are after a hunting rifle. Personally, I wouldn’t want a quick change barrel on a hunting rifle. Every time you change a barrel you will need to sight in your scope. And you are limited by the bolt face diameter or changing bolts every time you swap cartridges. And of course the other limiting factor is action length. I suppose if all you will do is blind hunting it doesn’t make much difference. But when Western hunting if something happens to your action, stock or scope, it wouldn’t matter how many barrels you have in your truck.

It seems like every hunting rifle takes on it’s own personality. Building a mountain rifle that you can carry on your back pack is quite different than building a blind gun. The Tikka action is a great action to build on. There are many “pros” to using the Tikka action but it’s worst “con” is that you are somewhat limited by cartridge length. Another “con” is the limited length of a Tikka magazine. Tikka barrels are known to be inherently accurate. From what I have seen, more than a few custom actions have easy swap bolt faces.

You can get a “pre-fit” barrel for quite a few actions (including a Tikka). Some barrel makers give you the option of a fixed shoulder or a variable shoulder (barrel nut) pre-fit. I was thinking about Twisting on a fixed shoulder barrel myself. But for the cost of the tools to re-barrel, the barrel makers will remove your old barrel and face up the the new pre-fit for you. I suppose if you want to build multiple rifles for a hobby, then you will want to buy all of the required tools to re-barrel yourself. There is a custom stock out there for everyone. The selection of hunting stocks for Tikka actions are somewhat limited as compared to other custom actions, but there is a stock out there for everyone’s tastes and desires.

OP
B

BigFaus

FNG
Sounds like you are after a hunting rifle. Personally, I wouldn’t want a quick change barrel on a hunting rifle. Every time you change a barrel you will need to sight in your scope. And you are limited by the bolt face diameter or changing bolts every time you swap cartridges. And of course the other limiting factor is action length. I suppose if all you will do is blind hunting it doesn’t make much difference. But when Western hunting if something happens to your action, stock or scope, it wouldn’t matter how many barrels you have in your truck.

It seems like every hunting rifle takes on it’s own personality. Building a mountain rifle that you can carry on your back pack is quite different than building a blind gun. The Tikka action is a great action to build on. There are many “pros” to using the Tikka action but it’s worst “con” is that you are somewhat limited by cartridge length. Another “con” is the limited length of a Tikka magazine. Tikka barrels are known to be inherently accurate. From what I have seen, more than a few custom actions have easy swap bolt faces.

You can get a “pre-fit” barrel for quite a few actions (including a Tikka). Some barrel makers give you the option of a fixed shoulder or a variable shoulder (barrel nut) pre-fit. I was thinking about Twisting on a fixed shoulder barrel myself. But for the cost of the tools to re-barrel, the barrel makers will remove your old barrel and face up the the new pre-fit for you. I suppose if you want to build multiple rifles for a hobby, then you will want to buy all of the required tools to re-barrel yourself. There is a custom stock out there for everyone. The selection of hunting stocks for Tikka actions are somewhat limited as compared to other custom actions, but there is a stock out there for everyone’s tastes and desires.
Thanks for the input. The more I look into it, I'm realizing there are many more options than I originally thought. I think the coming Holiday sales may influence my decision some. I'm currently building a spreadsheet of components that peak my interest and will move from there once I determine exactly what I want. More than likely will end up doing this more than once. Thanks.

feanor

WKR
I’m definitely in the same boat you are in terms of building it myself. I like the idea a lot. Keep an update on what you’re leaning toward. I’d be interested to see what you come up with.

OP
B

BigFaus

FNG
Update:

So I'm looking at doing two seperate builds both of an Origin Action.

Build 1 is for hunting 6.5 Creedmoor with a proof carbon prefit barrel. I'm looking for advice and suggestions from those that have used the following stocks/Chassis. Have it narrowed down to the following:

MDT Hnt26 Chassis
Manners LRH with mini Chassis
XLR 4.0 Magnesium

Build 2 is a PRS/ long range plinking Build. Origin action, 6 Creed proof stainless Palma. Looking for advice on the following chassis/stocks.

Foundations Genesiss
KRG Whiskey 3
MPA Comp Chassis

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.