Custom builder/Prefit

kipper09

WKR
Doing some research on a custom rifle build or prefit idea. Looking to build something with all good solid components and looking for suggestions on a builder or should I buy them myself all prefit?

Target is a good solid reliable mountain rifle, weighing in at around 6.25 lbs bare. 6.5 PRC with 22-24 inch barrel. Would appreciate any names of anybody who I should talk to and who may build what I’m looking for. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
Kipper

Building a semi custom rifle with available components isn’t difficult. You’ll likely hit a small hiccup or two but nothing to major.

Depending on how much you want to spend full customs can cost a good amount.

Last year I did a DIY on an old savage action. C6 barrel and XLR chassis. Including cost of my cheap action I was into mine for a few hours of work and maybe $2200.

My buddy did a full custom job in same cartridge and it came in at exactly double (his action was definitely better than a savage though). Both have shot the same. He actually had more headache because he went with a medium action and had a few more fitment issues (don’t think it’s common).

With some of the deals on prefit barrels for the holidays, some solid CF stock options from stockys, and good availability of actions out there you can pretty easily build something inside the $2k mark.

Keep in mind at a minimum you’ll need a barrel vice/action wrench and some gauges factor in $150 for those.

ID_Matt

WKR
What is your budget? The prefit idea is great but as mentioned you'll need some tools to do it. I am still in the camp of custom chambers and a good bedding job being worth the extra expense.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Nothing crazy. Like to stay 4-5. But I’m pretty open for this one

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Starting to think an alamo precision altitude may be the ticket. They have several PRC’s ready to ship. All really good components. Great reputation.

Unckebob

WKR
What is your budget? The prefit idea is great but as mentioned you'll need some tools to do it. I am still in the camp of custom chambers and a good bedding job being worth the extra expense.

I completed my Origin/Prefit build this weekend. I am able to do small projects but I am not "Mr Handyman" who fixes everything in the house that breaks. If I can pull it off, anyone can.

My takeaways from the project:

1) The hardest part was picking out the right components because there were so many options. It was like being a kid in a candy store with only $5 to spend.
  • I chose TriggerTech Primary vs a more expensive one,
  • I chose Steel over CF
  • I didn't want to wait a long time for a custom stock to be made - I bought a Greyboe.
2) Installing the TriggerTech trigger was laughably easy.

3) Installing the stock was slightly harder because I needed to cut/file the front action screw to fit my stock. Thanks to the people on this board, I took care of it with a dremel and some file work.

4) Figuring out what bottom metal fit with my inlet just required research and a phone call to the company that made my stock.

5) Installing the barrel was harder, but YouTube videos made it easy to figure out.

Plug: If OP goes with the Origin Action, he can get it quicker from Northland Shooter Supply than Zermatt directly.