Curious on something. Hunting a unit bordering a draw unit

That is not the same thing. You'd be violating private property rights and trespassing at that point. The simple act of crossing the property line is illegal without landowner permission.

Some states you can retrieve on private, I think, states where you can hunt private if it isn't posted.

It's a little different in this situation, cause like you said, it's private and you can't be there anyways. But what about a park? Or town limits? Or what if you were in a border area and it crossed into another state from the unit you are in?

Like I said, I might be wrong, it's just how I'm seeing it.

If it's a unit that your tag isn't good for, I don't see how you can go into it to retrieve it.

If it's a unit that your tag isn't good for, I don't see how you can go into it to retrieve it.
If it is not illegal to be the area your tag is not good for, if it is not illegal to hunt in the area your tag is not good for, yet you hunted and shot the animal in the zone your tag is good for, there is nothing in the hunting regulations keeping you from retrieving the animal, even if it is another state. And, as I pointed out, our hunting regulations require us to take all edible meat and there is a wanton waste law. Therefore if you legally shot your animal (consistent with the tag/zone you have) and it does go into a different zone, and you know it died there, and you fail to retrieve it, you would be guilty of wanton waste.

However, if there is a law that forbids you from retrieving a game animal (National Parks), can not be used to convict you of wanton waste as the conflict each other. In otherwords, you cannot have one law say you must do this, while another law says you must not, give the same situation.

I think some guys here are unsure what "hunting" actually means in relation to Fish and Wildlife laws.
Hunting means taking or attempting to take wildlife. Trapping is not considered hunting. Once the animal is dead, you are no longer hunting.

Overall we are in agreement. However, if your hunting an area with other people hunting it, and your animal crosses a boundary, it is likely that other hunters will call F&W. I have suggested what I consider wise methods, so that if you do encounter F&W, you have evidence to dispel suspicion.

For example, if you were to cross a boundary to recover an animal, I recommended unloading your rifle (could be a bow) and removing the bolt and storing the ammunition and bolt in an inconvenient place in the pack, as evidence you are recovering and not hunting (which can be filmed). If you carry a loaded weapon into a zone you do not have a tag for, it is REASONABLE to PRESUME you are hunting. If the weapon is not loaded and the ammo, arows ... is not convenient to get and load, then it is NOT reasonable to ASSUME (not the use of presume and assume) one is in the act of hunting.
I think I may have gotten you confused with another poster.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Sort of asked the NP question to the warden as well, as several units I spend time in border RMNP, he said by no means can you carry a weapon into the park, at that point the recovery has to be done by him/a park ranger, at that point you are talking hours and hours of waiting to get to said animal so there is a good chance it spoils during archery season

Sort of asked the NP question to the warden as well, as several units I spend time in border RMNP, he said by no means can you carry a weapon into the park, at that point the recovery has to be done by him/a park ranger, at that point you are talking hours and hours of waiting to get to said animal so there is a good chance it spoils during archery season
The warden is wrong, but in the case described, I would never take a weapon into a National Park. Several years back, there was a supreme court ruling stating we have the legal right to take firearms into national parks. However, we do not have the right to discharge a firearm in a National Park. As such, taking a weapon into a National Park to retrieve a legally harvested animal would likely seriously complicate the retrieval issue and initial impression by pretty much anyone would not be favorable.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Dang I had no idea this post went to 4 pages.
Some good reading I will say and coming from a Rookie hunter out west was really good reading.
I did contact the CWP office and they told me if by some slim chance we hit an animal in our unit and runs to the other to makr the spot of the shot, take photos of anything such as blood or the blood trail, Call them they will have a Warden contact us.
Hopefully it dosent happen but I at least wanted to know ahead of time if it did.