Curious on bullets for moose

I know there are a lot of opinions on the matter and I get it although I’m pinched on time for working up another load and mid summer isn’t the most ideal time to do it. Plus, one of the rifles isn’t exactly an easy gun to find more brass for.

My wife will be shooting a 7wsm loaded with 168 Berger vld’s cruising around 2950 fps.

I’m shooting a 300 prc with Berger 215 hybrids around 2900 fps. I can’t remember exactly on mine.

I have no idea on shot distances where we are going but from google earth there may be some a spot or two on our float hunt where we could stretch each gun out to 800 or more (not that we would unless conditions were ideal). I’m guessing 300 yards and in would be the most likely scenario.

I’ve yet to kill anything with my 300 and she dumped a caribou with her 7wsm at 345 yards quartering away. Took the top of the heart off and decimated top of the leg bone on the off shoulder.

Anyways, just curious if anyone has experience with either of these bullets on moose. I’ve read about n some other forums that people have been fine shooting both. And my wife can flat out shoot so I’ll have her for sure backed off the shoulder and focusing on double lung shots. Same with myself. Heart tastes too good fried to destroy with a bullet! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you are confident with both loads in both rifles, I’d say run them. They will both be able to kill moose easily at your preferred distance of 300 and in.

OP
ddavis_1313
As long as you are confident with both loads in both rifles, I’d say run them. They will both be able to kill moose easily at your preferred distance of 300 and in.

I’d prefer the moose to be closer to 500 yards in all honesty lol. Those Berger’s are real expansive when still trucking along at high velocity from my experience. I shot a whitetail quartering to with that 7 WSM at 91 yards dead center of the front shoulder purposely to see what it would do. You could sit a snuff can in the entrance wound and there was no exit. That entire shoulder was blood shot and the chest cavity was in just about as bad of shape. No way I’d try that on a bigger animal though.

We are both 100% confident in shot placement with each load further than the average hunter would even care to shoot and our main focus is placing the first shot through both lungs. A few inches behind the crease of the shoulder.

Considering it’s a 50” or 4 brown tine unit I’ll be glassing the rack hard before even thinking of shooting so a broadside shot should be offered at some point. If I can’t guarantee he’s legal with several inches to spare or without a doubt on brows he’s gonna walk.

I gotta re learn how to use a front focal plane scope to measure at different yardages. Haven’t done it in a while and just don’t shoot enough or have anywhere to shoot at long distance close by me to do it often.

OP
ddavis_1313
I would opt for a .338 Winchester Mag.

Well, for cutting reloading and overall gun cost, I opted for a 300 prc as an all around North American rifle which is why I was asking about the two calibers above. Knowing now what I didn’t know then I would NOT have bought the 7wsm. That being said, I can always have a 6.5 prc barrel spun up for it since 7wsm brass is pretty much non existent.

It’s doesn’t take a .338 to kill a moose nor do I want or need a .338 to hunt any game in North America.

That being said, shoot em with a barrett .50 and green tip ammo if ya got it. Heck, why not a .700 nitro express and 1000 grains of “screw you moose and the 10 trees behind you”.

I’ll pass. I don’t need any of that kind of recoil in my life.

Honestly if I was an annual moose hunter I’d opt for stick and string and a razor sharp two blade with bleeders.

Of the 4 moose I've been a part of, 3 were shot with 200gr Accubonds from a 300RUM and 1 with 168gr TTSX from a .308.

Shot distances were 360, 300, 390 & 260.

I have a couple friends that went and used 7 SAUMs shooting Bergers (can't remember what grain) and both killed good bulls. I can't recall if they said anything negative about the Berger or not.

One of them had to put a brown bear down in defense at 20 yards because it charged him... 1st shot was a warning shot and when it kept coming he fired another at the bear and hit him in the hump (spine) and dropped him... then put another in the head for good measure.

OP
ddavis_1313
Of the 4 moose I've been a part of, 3 were shot with 200gr Accubonds from a 300RUM and 1 with 168gr TTSX from a .308.

Shot distances were 360, 300, 390 & 260.

I have a couple friends that went and used 7 SAUMs shooting Bergers (can't remember what grain) and both killed good bulls. I can't recall if they said anything negative about the Berger or not.

One of them had to put a brown bear down in defense at 20 yards because it charged him... 1st shot was a warning shot and when it kept coming he fired another at the bear and hit him in the hump (spine) and dropped him... then put another in the head for good measure.

I’ve seen several people that built a 7 saum for Alaska. I love the idea of one in a short or medium action with the ability to still shoot 180’s but keep the gun super compact.

My issue is what happens when it goes the way of the 7wsm? Hard to load with no brass.

Also, I’d love to shoot accubonds or triple shock out of my 300 prc. I don’t have the time to work on reloading or a door chart between now and September.

Congrats on the 4 moose!!!

UpTop

WKR
Folks sure do seem to get over dramatic about moose. Either of those set ups should do the job just fine. I mean you could opt for artillery rounds out of a tank if you REALLY want to get the job done though

I’d prefer the moose to be closer to 500 yards in all honesty lol. Those Berger’s are real expansive when still trucking along at high velocity from my experience. I shot a whitetail quartering to with that 7 WSM at 91 yards dead center of the front shoulder purposely to see what it would do. You could sit a snuff can in the entrance wound and there was no exit. That entire shoulder was blood shot and the chest cavity was in just about as bad of shape. No way I’d try that on a bigger animal though.

We are both 100% confident in shot placement with each load further than the average hunter would even care to shoot and our main focus is placing the first shot through both lungs. A few inches behind the crease of the shoulder.

Considering it’s a 50” or 4 brown tine unit I’ll be glassing the rack hard before even thinking of shooting so a broadside shot should be offered at some point. If I can’t guarantee he’s legal with several inches to spare or without a doubt on brows he’s gonna walk.

I gotta re learn how to use a front focal plane scope to measure at different yardages. Haven’t done it in a while and just don’t shoot enough or have anywhere to shoot at long distance close by me to do it often.

Again, if you’re 100% confident placing your shots with the loads mentioned, you’re done. Go out and practice before your hunt.

I’m no moose expert by any means. But I’m guessing they don’t bolt and go full speed like when you hit a white tail deer. If you hit the moose and he’s still standing, keeping putting rounds into him until he’s no longer standing. This tactic works on any species I’ve hunted.

I’ve seen several people that built a 7 saum for Alaska. I love the idea of one in a short or medium action with the ability to still shoot 180’s but keep the gun super compact.

My issue is what happens when it goes the way of the 7wsm? Hard to load with no brass.

Also, I’d love to shoot accubonds or triple shock out of my 300 prc. I don’t have the time to work on reloading or a door chart between now and September.

Congrats on the 4 moose!!!

I honestly think you'll be just fine if that's what you're comfortable & confident shooting.

OP
ddavis_1313
Folks sure do seem to get over dramatic about moose. Either of those set ups should do the job just fine. I mean you could opt for artillery rounds out of a tank if you REALLY want to get the job done though

lol.

You think I could make weight for a beaver though? That’s the real question!

I’m no moose expert by any means. But I’m guessing they don’t bolt and go full speed like when you hit a white tail deer. If you hit the moose and he’s still standing, keeping putting rounds into him until he’s no longer standing.
Yep you're correct from what I've witnessed. After the first shot they typically run about 10 yards and just stand there. They can soak up some rounds. All of our moose have taken 3 to the boiler room. First shot would kill them but like you said, if he's still standing I'm still shooting.

OP
ddavis_1313
I honestly think you'll be just fine if that's what you're comfortable & confident shooting.

Nice profile pic! What was the spread on that one? Just curious. And honestly judging how wide they are is way more concerning to me than bullet choice. lol

OP
ddavis_1313
In the villages of AK, many moose die every year from .243’s, .223, .270, 25-06, etc.
You’re all set

I almost mentioned this bc I thought I heard it on a podcast.