Crossing the Sag on Haul Rd Hunt

JBWinter

FNG
You'll see guys crossing with all kinds of rafts small and mid sized. I even followed a group of Airforce guys as they dragged a 16' aluminum canoe over the tundra to cross the sag. The smaller rafts with low capacities are fine but expect to have to make multiple ferries to get gear and meat back across. Guys that get in to trouble overload their rafts and flip trying to cross. It can be sketchy if river flow rises. The PR49 is a bit heavier compared to other packrafts because it's designed around a paddler his gear and a pile of meat. It's more boat because you need as much as you can get crammed into the smallest package.

Intex is a little low-pro IMO and you might catch a side wave and flip it loaded with meat. I'd go with koko or alpacka over that option.
Appreciate the input! there is a lot logistically to put together on this hunt, and i certainly dont want to go at it half baked. Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just pack like it’s a backpacking trip but take a raft. Do t over complicate it and don’t think that because you’re bringing a raft you should bring more stuff.

VernAK

WKR
I've been watching this thread and find it interesting as the last time I crossed the Sag was in a Bell 212. There were no hunters in the area because the Haul Road hadn't been built yet.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Good advice here. Current in the Sag can be deceptively FAST. A PFD and packraft is a good way to go. Do multiple ferries if you have your doubts and don't worry about ceding ground downstream--not like you have to beeline across.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an expensive one. Expensive gets you a raft that's lighter, better engineered, and better materials. That's all great if you intend to use it multiple times on river trips and/or need the lightweight packability for your style of trips. So if you're looking at just one river crossing and then stashing it rather than carrying it, don't be afraid to go with something heavier/bulkier/more basic.