Crossfitters

doin1

FNG
I don't want a debate about the legitimacy of Crossfit. I already believe. I am 57, started about 5 weeks ago. I would like to hear from people who have done and succeeded at getting into shape from Crossfit your experiences as far as recovery any injuries you might of sustained.

CaseyU

WKR
I have been doing crossfit for about a year and a half and have felt phenominal. I am very young so my story might not help. But i have a captain that is 40 and has been a wildland firefighter his whole life so he has always been in good shape he has been doing crossfit for about two years and is unbelievable. He sleeps better has a better attitude and is a way more positive person. My favorite part of crossfit is how it is all for your core. And a persons core does everything and every movement without them knowing. And if you are wondering injuries while working out? It happens. We had a ff do a very extremem ghg workout in a circuit and ended up going to hospital next morning because he could not stand up. But thats why you can scale workouts and be smart

CaseyU

WKR
My worst injury was doing a muscle up and my hand slipped through the ring and fell down and got caught by my shoulder. My shoulder heeled in a week my injury was mental and it took me a while to get back on the ringa and start doing pull ups aNd muscle ups . I will say the best way to overcome troubles wih crossfit (injury,scaling, olympic lifts) is having a friend that is as dedicated as you are. Workout everyday together with the same workout. Best of luck and i am really happy to hear about your crossfit success as well!!!!

trkyslr

WKR
Ive mixed in crossfit into my workouts last few years it was ok and i was in decent shape. Ive been doing the crossfit classes 5-6 days a week for the last 4 months and im in best shape ever! My core, legs, and cardio are the best theyve been maybe ever! The classes make a huge diff as it pushes you and forces you to work harder. I was having knee problems from big backcountry hunts prior to crissfit and now im eating up mountains with no issues. It works!

OP
D

doin1

FNG
I wouldn't call my experience a success quite yet. Being older that anybody in my gym. I have not got over the aches and pains of doing it. That is what I was curious about. How much of this is normal? I had a back spasm that set me back a week. But without rolling out my muscles and mobility work ahead of my workout, I would not be able go a lot of these days.

trkyslr

WKR
Also another thing i noticed is that my soreness is present within an hour of the workout and the next day i feek great so recovery time is faster. This about three weeks before it kicked in.

bandit1

FNG
I've been doing crossfit for 5 years now and am 50 years old. I haven't sustained any real injuries but have tweaked myself a couple of different times, none causing any time off. I will advise that a serious warmup with a focus on mobility and stretching is absolutely required at my age, especially in the colder months. Get used to being sore, it's part of the deal. I have knees that are trashed from too much basketball and will often limit my selection of movements for the daily wod. That being said, my legs are as strong as they've ever been. My advice is to be aware of your limits and scale the Olympic lifts to a weight that you can do with proper form. Go hard on the conditioning wods and learn as many of the movements as you can, it will pay phenomenal dividends when chasing game in the backcountry.

jmez

WKR
I would consider supplementing protein and branched chain animo acids if you are taking a long time to recover.

jmize

FNG
New to this site and cross fit. Decided to take the plunge in CF in January and love it. I'm four days a week at 0600. Being 41, the mobility work has really helped with sore joints, knees in particular. Being in a class setting keeps you motivated to dig deep and not cave during some of the tougher workouts. Doing lifts (Olympic style, power snatches, cleans, front and back squats) that I have never been exposed to has been great for overall strength gains. Between getting stronger overall, more mobile and mentally tougher I believe will make me a better hunter and higher performing person in life. I would recommend CF to anyone "thinking" about it as I did for over a year.