Critique My Gear List

huntcurs

FNG
I've finally scraped together all the gear I think I need for 1-2 night trips here in AZ for the Dec-Jan archery season. I'm planning on most of the trips being Friday early afternoon-Saturday night, with a Thursday night-Saturday night when my boss will allow it :)

Couple notes:

1) Planning on only no-cook foods, so no stove.
2) Having not been out in the area yet, I'm planning on 4 liters of water carried until I make sure I can get it in the field.
3) I know I could definitely trim some weight here and there, but I'm out of spending money, so not looking for weight advice, just trying to see if I'm missing any essential items.

Alright, so am I missing anything?

Inside Pack

Outdoorsman's Optics Hunter Pack

Hammock Gear Burrow 20° Quilt
Thermarest Trail Scout Sleeping Pad
Borah Gear Side Zip Bivy
GoLite Poncho Tarp
4 Stakes

Platypus Big Zip Reservoir (2 liter)
Sawyer Mini Water Filter with bag

4 King size pillowcases
Havalon Piranta w/ extra blades
50 Ft. Paracord

Suunto MC-2 Pro Compass
Map
iPhone 5S

Tripod
Real Avid Bowsmith
First Aid Kit
Toilet Paper
2 Bic Lighters
Cotton balls w/ vaseline
Duct Tape (wrapped around trek poles)
2 black garbage bags

Down Vest
Cabelas 1/4 Zip Fleece
Extra Merino Socks

Worn/Carried

Merino Shirt
Microtex Pants
Merino Socks
Merino Underwear
Boots
Trekking Poles
Bow w/ quiver
Binoculars
Rangefinder
Wind Checker

Food/Water

4 Pro Bars
Trail Mix
Jerky
4 Liters Water

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Well, I don't think it looks too bad with the exception that I don't see any flashlights ( I always carry two) and that food list would drive me nuts.

Randy

OP
huntcurs

huntcurs

FNG
Ah, good call on the flashlights. They're already stashed in my pack, just forgot to put them on the list.

As far as food, drive you nuts how so?

not enough food for me. for no cook, id add peanut butter crackers, bagel sandwhich, cured meats, cheese, poptart, nuts, quest bar. and for the 2nd day... ;)

also, do you have a stocking hat to go with that quilt? how about light gloves for early morning?

I didn't see a headlamp so I woul swap one flashlight for one of those. I would also throw in an extra stake. You could break one, lose one, who knows. I always like at least one spare. Also swap TP for baby wipes. So much better in my opinion.

I would also take more food , I also take, apples ,carrots, bagels with peanut butter and some kind of salomi or bacon on it, I know it adds more weight but in my opinion worth the weight

Stid2677

WKR
More food, and a stove,, A alcohol can stove weighs almost nothing. The fuel is a one way ride, warm grub and coffee keeps me going.

IMGP0069-1.jpg

_Nick_

WKR
I've finally scraped together all the gear I think I need for 1-2 night trips here in AZ for the Dec-Jan archery season. I'm planning on most of the trips being Friday early afternoon-Saturday night, with a Thursday night-Saturday night when my boss will allow it :)

Couple notes:

1) Planning on only no-cook foods, so no stove.
2) Having not been out in the area yet, I'm planning on 4 liters of water carried until I make sure I can get it in the field.
Depending on length of your trip and heat in the desert, you may need more water than this. If I'm hiking in for a 3 day 2 night trip and desert temp will be in mid 80s, I typically bring around 10 liters of water total. And I drink it all. If you can find a water source, great, but otherwise, don't get yourself into a bad situation by not having enough water in the desert.
3) I know I could definitely trim some weight here and there, but I'm out of spending money, so not looking for weight advice, just trying to see if I'm missing any essential items.

Alright, so am I missing anything?

Inside Pack

Outdoorsman's Optics Hunter Pack

Hammock Gear Burrow 20° Quilt
Thermarest Trail Scout Sleeping Pad
Borah Gear Side Zip Bivy
GoLite Poncho Tarp
4 Stakes You'll want some stakes to stake down the bivy, and you'll need more stakes than this to hold down the golite if you actually have to use it. I just spent the weekend out in a haboob and had to stake down my tarp with buried stakes and bigass rocks. The rocks slid in the night as the winds were pushing 50+mph. Had to get up at 2am to fix them, in the rain. No fun. The dust in the lungs wasn't great either. You should set up the golite so that you can guy it out at all points and carry enough stakes for all the corners. Bury the stakes in the ground sideways, and if you can, put rocks on top. That is, if you're facing some windstorm or rainstorm. Otherwise, no need to even set up the golite.

Platypus Big Zip Reservoir (2 liter)
Sawyer Mini Water Filter with bag

4 King size pillowcases I assume for game bags?
Havalon Piranta w/ extra blades
50 Ft. Paracord You almost assuredly don't need this much rope in the desert do you? Unless you've got really tall trees you'll be hanging meat from... most of the time the bushes I hang stuff from are barely taller than me, and those are the tallest I can find.

Suunto MC-2 Pro Compass
Map
iPhone 5S

Tripod
Real Avid Bowsmith What's this?
First Aid Kit
Toilet Paper
2 Bic Lighters You only need one... are you even allowed to have a fire in your desert areas? This is fire season after all...
Cotton balls w/ vaseline The desert is full of tinder... if you think it's going to rain and you need to get a fire going, store some tinder in your pocket.
Duct Tape (wrapped around trek poles)
2 black garbage bags What for? If for meat storage, make sure they don't have any pesticides/chemicals lining them (many do). 2 seems excessive, too, for that purpose.

Down Vest
Cabelas 1/4 Zip Fleece
Extra Merino Socks
A windshirt is my best friend in the desert. Your fleece will do little to keep you warm if there's any wind.

Worn/Carried

Merino Shirt
Microtex Pants
Merino Socks
Merino Underwear
Boots
Trekking Poles
Bow w/ quiver
Binoculars
Rangefinder
Wind Checker (sand/dust works well for me...)

Food/Water

4 Pro Bars
Trail Mix
Jerky
4 Liters Water

I do the no-cook thing. My suggestion like others would be to include more diversity here. Trail mix and jerky are fine for a meal or two... but you want to enjoy yourself not suffer with too limited of food choices. Plus you need to make sure you're getting appropriate amounts of electrolytes (I find dried apricots are good for potassium).

Overall it looks like you put together an excellent list. I can't help but notice that you've chosen a number of the gear items I originally recommended. I hope you like them :)

Final bit of advice: I'd practice getting a tight pitch on the golite in your backyard, getting everything fit and well-oiled. You may need to set it up fast and tight in the field.

Good luck!

kodiakfly

WKR
Why two lighters? In case one fails? If they're just for starting fire, I'd swap them out for a striker type starter- they never fail, you only need one and they're cheap.

Also, the pillow cases are used as game bags? Also the trash bags. These seem redundant and excessive.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
You should probably have a mirror and whistle in your first aid/safety kit. Good for signalling rescuers if you get injured and can't hike out. Both come in plastic so don't weight anything. +1 on the trail tape. I also keep a couple hundred calories in energy gels or something similar in the emergency kit, as well as a few iodine tablets in case the water filter won't work for some reason and for day hikes when you aren't carrying one.

Frosty82

WKR
You should probably have a mirror and whistle in your first aid/safety kit. Good for signalling rescuers if you get injured and can't hike out. Both come in plastic so don't weight anything. +1 on the trail tape. I also keep a couple hundred calories in energy gels or something similar in the emergency kit, as well as a few iodine tablets in case the water filter won't work for some reason and for day hikes when you aren't carrying one.

Also good for keeping a grizzly at bay when your rifle is a 1/4 mile behind you!

OP
huntcurs

huntcurs

FNG
not enough food for me. for no cook, id add peanut butter crackers, bagel sandwhich, cured meats, cheese, poptart, nuts, quest bar. and for the 2nd day... ;)

also, do you have a stocking hat to go with that quilt? how about light gloves for early morning?

That food list is really for a quick overnighter. However, seems like I still might be short. I'll be sure to pack more. And yes, I have a stocking cap and gloves. Good call, gonna add those to the list.

I didn't see a headlamp so I woul swap one flashlight for one of those. I would also throw in an extra stake. You could break one, lose one, who knows. I always like at least one spare. Also swap TP for baby wipes. So much better in my opinion.

Dang, I need to take more time on my replies. Definitely meant headlamps, not flashlights. I've got a nice one and a small cheap one as backup. I like the idea of baby wipes, too. Gonna swap those out.

Overall it looks like you put together an excellent list. I can't help but notice that you've chosen a number of the gear items I originally recommended. I hope you like them :)

Final bit of advice: I'd practice getting a tight pitch on the golite in your backyard, getting everything fit and well-oiled. You may need to set it up fast and tight in the field.

Good luck!

Yep, they seemed to be the best combo for here. I will probably add a bigger shelter like a Mountainsmith for my elk trip next fall, but really couldn't see the need for it here. I have practiced a few times setting up my shelter and slept in it 3 nights so far (my wife thinks I'm nuts haha). So far, so good! Also, the area I narrowed it down to doesn't really get hit with the dust storms like the wide open desert does, but I'm prepared for it if it does.

Why two lighters? In case one fails? If they're just for starting fire, I'd swap them out for a striker type starter- they never fail, you only need one and they're cheap.

Also, the pillow cases are used as game bags? Also the trash bags. These seem redundant and excessive.

Yeah, I had the two lighters on there for when I had the stove on the list. Pillow cases for game bags (like I said, I'm out of cash lol), and the trash bags are for covering my pack and bow in a dust or rain storm, and hopefully for laying on the ground for boning meat.

I'll get one of those signal mirrors and whistles. I'll also get a couple of those tablets, that's a good idea.

A metal match works really well for using cotton ball/vaseline firestarters. I carry one of those and also a lighter.

Those cotton balls are kind of a worst case scenario thing here. The average nightly temps for the area I'll be hunting are 40* in January, but in case it dips lower and I somehow got soaking wet in the desert... Anyway, sounds like it would just be a good idea to have a non-mechanical backup fire starter, so I'm gonna add one.

Also good for keeping a grizzly at bay when your rifle is a 1/4 mile behind you!

I feel like there's a story behind that comment? :cool:

Thanks everyone! Keep the suggestions coming!

You said short 1-2 day trips but don't leave meat in cotton bags, pillow cases don't breath very well. Proper game bags will provide better care and cooling of your harvest.

OP
huntcurs

huntcurs

FNG
You said short 1-2 day trips but don't leave meat in cotton bags, pillow cases don't breath very well. Proper game bags will provide better care and cooling of your harvest.

10-4. I was blowing air through them trying to see how breathable they were and wasn't having much luck. Figured better than a trash bag, not as good as a TAG bag lol. Will definitely not keep meat in there long.

Don't forget your release.

After ruining my only chance on a turkey this last spring by forgetting it... Never again!

boom

WKR
Last two years; it got down to single digits. Our water froze solid. Pack cash. If you find my camp, I'll sell you some hot soup! Haha.

Jk. Free hot food for you. I'd rethink the no-cook thing. Warm food and drink helps tons. I sip hot tea while I glass to stop the shivers.

boom

WKR
Correction. Last year was mild temps. Prior two years before were the cold ones. It was brutal. My 20 bag was no match.