Critique my CO Elk gear list

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How long does your headlamp usually last and how long to recharge. I have been considering going to one but the thing that keeps me from doing that is the idea of having it go dead in me while I’m taking care of an animal or something else that is somewhat pressing. With a battery powered one I can be back full blast in a couple min.

Several of you have mentioned getting a small Gerber for pulling blades. I haven’t had that issue on this knife yet, granted I’ve only done 5 white tails with it, but is that something that’s bound to happen or are you taking them as a precaution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve only had mine get stuck from elk, never deer. I think it has to do with elk being bigger the knife goes deeper and then gets fat and whatever between the blade and the part it slides into.

I don’t have a rechargeable light so interested to hear about it also.

I have used my outdoor edge replaceble blade knife to cut up a couple elk. I have not needed any tool to help change the blades. I like the outdoor edge better than the gerber and better than the havalon. I have all 3 of them. I use the rechargable black diamond light. I think its the revolt. Nice thing about it is you can also use regular AAA batteries

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
Well I picked up a very small multi tool to have Incase I run into blades sticking. Ways 1.5 oz so it’s minuscule. And for 3 bucks I think it’ll do the trick.
c262eae8513ae9b2b87d14c54d2adbc6.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
How long does your headlamp usually last and how long to recharge. I have been considering going to one but the thing that keeps me from doing that is the idea of having it go dead in me while I’m taking care of an animal or something else that is somewhat pressing. With a battery powered one I can be back full blast in a couple min.

Several of you have mentioned getting a small Gerber for pulling blades. I haven’t had that issue on this knife yet, granted I’ve only done 5 white tails with it, but is that something that’s bound to happen or are you taking them as a precaution?

I can't give a great answer to the headlamp question. I use mine catfishing where I run it a lot through the night without issue and just re-charge it the next day. Hunting I use it walking in and out and re-charge it at night from the battery pack in camp. I don't run the full brightness setting on my headlamp very often but I have run it for 8hrs plus on dim or red settings in one night. I guess I like that I know that every time I leave camp or home I'm starting with my batteries full, not with what's left of the batteries I used the last 3 trips. My ReVolt will take AAA batteries also so they can be carried as a back-up to get you running right away also.
I do often carry a spare headlamp in case it does die on me. I didn't used to carry a spare headlamp, my Dark Energy battery pack and my I phone have small flashlights built into them, but after reading about Black Diamond lamps failing on several threads I started packing a spare. I have two BD headlamps, the Storm and ReVolt, and both have worked fine with no issues but having a spare isn't a bad idea. Both those headlamps are pretty good size/weight so one like that plus a smaller one is probably a smarter idea than two big ones for most trips.

I have changed blades with just my fingers quite a bit without problems. It is tricky though and if you do slip you could have a pretty significant injury quite a ways from help. A blade breaking under pressure can present the same problem. I have only broken the Havalon style blades not the Outdoor Edge ones. I have taken game with dark and a storm rolling in. I get in a hurry and am probably not as careful as I should be getting them quartered and dealt with for the night. With a regular knife I feel like I'm less likely to injure myself hurrying and prying a bit. They have bigger "grippier" handles and thicker blades. The replaceable blade knives work well for me when I'm caping a whitetail in our shop, taking my time with good light, but are just easier to make a mistake with in a hurry. Just my opinion and what works for me, the replaceable blade stuff will darn sure do the job well used correctly.

I'm sure it has already been said but these are the critiques I would make:

-leave saw/most of the spare blades at the truck; all joints can be taken apart with a knife and you shouldn't need 12 blades.
-carry an extra battery for your rangefinder; could be a lifesaver if the original battery is exposed to cold
-add a few carbiners for possibly having to hang meat; tons of other uses as well
-add a tourniquet; buys you time while you hit the "SOS" on the InReach
-add moleskin or some type of blister treatment; allows you to hunt harder for longer.

Great list overall!

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
I'm sure it has already been said but these are the critiques I would make:

-leave saw/most of the spare blades at the truck; all joints can be taken apart with a knife and you shouldn't need 12 blades.
-carry an extra battery for your rangefinder; could be a lifesaver if the original battery is exposed to cold
-add a few carbiners for possibly having to hang meat; tons of other uses as well
-add a tourniquet; buys you time while you hit the "SOS" on the InReach
-add moleskin or some type of blister treatment; allows you to hunt harder for longer.

Great list overall!

Dang didn’t even think of a spare battery for my ranger. Good call.

Definitely cutting down on the number of blades I’m gonna take. And I think I’m gonna leave the saw at the truck also.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
I can't give a great answer to the headlamp question. I use mine catfishing where I run it a lot through the night without issue and just re-charge it the next day. Hunting I use it walking in and out and re-charge it at night from the battery pack in camp. I don't run the full brightness setting on my headlamp very often but I have run it for 8hrs plus on dim or red settings in one night. I guess I like that I know that every time I leave camp or home I'm starting with my batteries full, not with what's left of the batteries I used the last 3 trips. My ReVolt will take AAA batteries also so they can be carried as a back-up to get you running right away also.
I do often carry a spare headlamp in case it does die on me. I didn't used to carry a spare headlamp, my Dark Energy battery pack and my I phone have small flashlights built into them, but after reading about Black Diamond lamps failing on several threads I started packing a spare. I have two BD headlamps, the Storm and ReVolt, and both have worked fine with no issues but having a spare isn't a bad idea. Both those headlamps are pretty good size/weight so one like that plus a smaller one is probably a smarter idea than two big ones for most trips.

I do like the idea of just being able to charge it each day and know I’m full. I didn’t realize they held 3a batteries also. That definitely addresses my main concern. Gonna have to pick one up eventually

Solid list, mine is very similar. Heres what I leave or least keep in truck to lighten up. Gaiters, unless you get 6" snow, not needed. Plastic ground sheet in kill kit. You can either use your emergency blanket or the contractor bags inside out to lay out meat until packing. Use sawyer, keep in sleeping bag at night so never freezes. Leave deod. Leave solar charger. Leave nalgene. Looks pretty good though.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i am currently preparing and i was wondering if the OP any post hunt knowledge to share? hopefully some kill pics too?!

Phaseolus

WKR
Like others have said, swap the space blanket for a space bag. I assume since you have a 9mm on the list you are not heading for grizzly country. I don’t feel it is necessary to carry a handgun at all in Colorado. I’ve been doing it without for 50 years. YMMV.

Netherman

WKR
Some good feedback here already. Suprised I hadn't heard the classic "go on a backpack trip". This is probably the best piece of advice. Best way to figure out what works for you.

Other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the cost of dude wipes. Cottenell flushable care wipes are much cheaper and my go to. I do buy the individual dude shower wipes. I'm a huge fan on day 3/4.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
Like others have said, swap the space blanket for a space bag. I assume since you have a 9mm on the list you are not heading for grizzly country. I don’t feel it is necessary to carry a handgun at all in Colorado. I’ve been doing it without for 50 years. YMMV.

Definitely no grizzlies. Tons of bear sign where I was. But my xds was more for piece of mind for me (and my wife at home) and since I carry it everywhere I didn’t want to leave it in my truck in case someone did break into my truck. I know the odds were low of that happening but I feel like if they stole a handgun compared to a cheap cooler it would be more complicated and frustrating.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
Some good feedback here already. Suprised I hadn't heard the classic "go on a backpack trip". This is probably the best piece of advice. Best way to figure out what works for you.

Other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the cost of dude wipes. Cottenell flushable care wipes are much cheaper and my go to. I do buy the individual dude shower wipes. I'm a huge fan on day 3/4.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For sure experience was the best thing. That’s why there was some things I took just to see what I liked better, like my water systems, and some things that I took for a little bit of confidence, like extra batteries, that I didn’t really need.
I’m gonna be honest and say I don’t even know what dude wipes cost. I got them pretty cheap on clearance at academy so I went with those. They are nice though.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
i am currently preparing and i was wondering if the OP any post hunt knowledge to share? hopefully some kill pics too?!

No kill pics but had an amazing trip. Already planning for this September. A few things will change on my list but not because what I had wasn’t adequate or failed.

Other than the tent I am upgrading everything in my sleep system. I slept ok, but wouldn’t be opposed to sleeping better haha. Went to a static v luxe pad just for more room and a sea to summit Aeros premium deluxe pillow. Trying to decide between a Nemo riff 15 bag and a WM terralite bag. The kelty bag for the price was honestly really good. It’s a shade over 3lbs and rates at 22 degrees (more like 30 for me). I think I bought it off amazon for $60. So a lot of bang for your buck. The zipper snags a lot which makes me wanna pull my hair out. And I’m looking for a wider bag since I side sleep a lot. But if the funds aren’t there and I have to use the kelty again, it will definitely get the job done.

Clothing wise the only things different will be a Sitka flash pullover for a rain jacket instead of the cabelas. Only bc I got it for nothing and it’s lighter. The cabelas is a really solid jacket and I was happy with it and will continue using it regularly. I MAY pick up a kelvin lite hoody to take instead of the kelvin active. Totally different pieces of gear though. I really really love the active but at times it was just a touch lite and I would have liked a hood.

I’m still undecided on which method of water filtration/purification I preferred. I used them all at various time for different reasons and was happy with them all. They don’t weigh much combined so ill probably keep packing them until there is a reason not too.

Going to completely redo my food this year though. Which a few people here might have predicted. Oatmeal twice a day when I tested my food for a few days at home wasn’t too bad. But twice a day for seven days is another story hahaha. It’s damn good oatmeal though.

Another piece of advise is listen to the experts on here. I did as much as could and had zero issues on my trip and felt very prepared. I pieced 90% of my gear off of here, eBay and Archerytalk. So I had a lot of really great gear for way less than retail.

Here’s a few pics of the trip. This is all I think about now.

a40496ea0e8c4a379291d794f6db29ba.jpg
c583df837b841eb73e884e1b36b130ba.jpg
2fd49e4065a1ee2fa917b5f9897744a1.jpg
866018c9a22ebfe167fc7ad6cc27bf97.jpg
56e7917256013f8f29ec346e7990baf7.jpg
6d64dc93f60868155d654e0b3b729e44.jpg

Last edited: