Cramping…

I had terrible leg cramping at night after going on a diuretic for an unrelated issue. My doc told me to take Mag Ox (magnesium oxide). That solved the issue so I think it was related to the meds dehydrating me and needing to replenish magnesium that was getting depleted. I am not a medical professional and this is only a “ It happened to me “ kind of story.

Piranha37

FNG
I use at least 2 Nuun tablets in water per day. Another thing I’ve found useful is to pack a little muscle rolling ball (baseball size but solid) and roll muscles every night. It helps with the circulation and seems to prevent cramping.

xsn10s

WKR
I can't drink any beer anywhere close to a hike.

I use hydrate and recover. At least one per day when hiking.
Keep extra and lmnt for pack outs.

Drink bcaa before bed. This really helps, I can go to bed w smoked legs. And without a doubt this doubles my recovery.

Salt stick chewables in hip belt and bino pouch for pack outs etc where I'm out of water or can't really get to it because a slapped on to much meat and am throwing it down for the truck.

Cold Gatorade always at the truck.
Yup for some reason beer leads to horrible leg cramps for me. Bananas, pickle juice and Gatorade helped me. I'll try the mustard, amino acid, and the other mixes suggested on here.

Last edited:
OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yup for some reason beer leads to horrible leg cramps for me. Bananas, pickle juice and Gatorade helped me. I'll just the mustard, amino acid, and the other mixes suggested on here.
Mustard is an absolute game changer. 2 packets does the trick for me. Takes about 5 minutes to kick in.

I don't know if this has been conveyed. Muscle cramps can be either sodium/potassium/magnesium deficiencies.

We need a massive amount of K (potassium). 4700mg/day (e.g., over 50 bananas). I get mine through K supplements in a 500mg/pill, avocados daily, red meat, dairy, and eggs. Additionally, Dr. Berg's electrolytes have 1000mg/packet (or Keto-1000).

Magnesium deficiency plagues the US. We should be getting about 400-500mg elemental Mg. There are so many different versions ... but the best is Mg bis/glycinate, chloride, l-threonate, and citrate. I take l-threonate and bisglycinate.

Then we have Na deficiencies. We've been told sodium is the devil. It is not! We need over 4000mg/daily. Personally, I use as much as my tastebuds can handle. I also take a pinch before every glass of water. Monitor your urine for light yellow for optimum hydration. I use Celtic sea salt and Redmonds.

The results? My blood pressure is the best it's ever been! The cramps/twitches have been resolved. I have not been dehydrated in a long time (spent the night in the ER due to it years ago - not a great experience).

Just my experience.

GotDraw?

WKR
Too much caffeine seems to bring them in me sometimes.
Perhaps try cutting it for a couple days to check your own results.
JL

I get em bad after a long day of hiking. Always have gotten them but worse as i get older. Conditioning helps. Stretching helps. Also i just eat about 1/2 tsp of salt in the morning, after dinner 1 tsp magnesium citrate with a packet of emergency-c in some warm water. Another tsp of mag-citrate will absolutely stop them dead in their tracks when I get an attack. At least 80 oz water per day.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest thing I’ve seen is guys waiting until after the movement or until the end of the day to “rehydrate”…it’s easy to forget to keep drinking fluids and replacing nutrients throughout the day because you are probably focused on the task at hand. Gets worse at elevation, the atmosphere literally leeches moisture from your body.

Next biggest contributor is under-conditioning, plain and simple. 8 hours of hiking a week doesn’t prep someone for 8 hours a day for multiple days, it just lessens shock to the system.

I almost always get calf/groin cramps on the first two nights of any load-bearing trip I’ve gone on (PCT, AT, CDT, AFG).

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll have to try the mustard thing. I have cramp fasciculation syndrome so my cramping isn’t an electrolyte issue as much as a weird motor nuero issue. Not all cramping is due to electrolyte imbalances but that’s always the advice. My blood work is perfect regarding electrolytes and I’ve had years and years of panels. The mechanism of action for the acetic acid is interesting. I’ll give it a try for sure.