CPW to cut NW Colorado tags by 40% or more

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Dang.
Was thinking of going back around Craig this year or next.
Hopefully the migration went ok.

taskswap

WKR
I wish I could find out more information on specifics. They're being SO cagey about this - the "Northwest Corner" of CO is huge. Application filing deadline is in a week (I already filed, but last chance to change my mind.) The article spends most of its time talking about vehicle strikes on pronghorn and gives nothing else tangible.

I feel like they could be a little more detailed about what they're planning to do, given how close the deadline is...

OP
B

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t mind the reduction of tags assuming it’s warranted based on mortality data and whatnot. That’s their job.

What drives me f%*cking bananas though is reducing the pressure on herds via tag reductions, and then increasing the pressure on herds literally a few months later via wolf reintroductions.

Great job Colorado voters, really well thought through.

Last edited:

WTFJohn

WKR
I wish I could find out more information on specifics. They're being SO cagey about this - the "Northwest Corner" of CO is huge. Application filing deadline is in a week (I already filed, but last chance to change my mind.) The article spends most of its time talking about vehicle strikes on pronghorn and gives nothing else tangible.

I feel like they could be a little more detailed about what they're planning to do, given how close the deadline is...

The units in yellow are home to the animals most affected by this winter. I wouldn't be surprised if other areas in other parts of the state were added to this given the way our winter is (still) going. There will be summer range that still has snow melting out in August and September of this year.

image.png

ndbuck09

WKR
I don’t mind the reduction of tags assuming it’s warranted based on mortality data and whatnot. That’s their job.

What drive me f%*cking bananas though is reducing the pressure on herds via tag reductions, and then increasing the pressure on herds literally a few months later via wolf reintroductions.

It's all part of the plan

taskswap

WKR
Would this cut have an affect on otc tags?
No. OTC tags are "unlimited in number." Everybody in the world can buy one if they could afford it and meet the requirements. :) But OTC tags aren't always a good fallback. For example, the best public sections of the Flat Tops are private-land-only during archery season.

Guess it's time for a lot of folks to scramble. I just wish they hadn't announced this so close to the deadline, that's all. Weather is weather, I accept this as a hunter. But you just know the way bureaucracy works that they've known about this for weeks, and they're still calling it only a "recommendation." It's crazy to me that hunters are expected to make good decisions without data they deliberately withhold until after the filing deadline, that's all.

fishslap

WKR
No. OTC tags are "unlimited in number." Everybody in the world can buy one if they could afford it and meet the requirements. :) But OTC tags aren't always a good fallback. For example, the best public sections of the Flat Tops are private-land-only during archery season.

Guess it's time for a lot of folks to scramble. I just wish they hadn't announced this so close to the deadline, that's all. Weather is weather, I accept this as a hunter. But you just know the way bureaucracy works that they've known about this for weeks, and they're still calling it only a "recommendation." It's crazy to me that hunters are expected to make good decisions without data they deliberately withhold until after the filing deadline, that's all.
“For example, the best public sections of the Flat Tops are private-land-only draw only during archery season.”
Corrected it for you.

bentarrow

FNG
Hopefully they will cut tags in the effected areas. Just read report for wyo. Thousands of animals dead. More will die with this winter holdin on. Applied for effected area. Will turn tag back if i draw.

Yoder

WKR

What drives me f%*cking bananas though is reducing the pressure on herds via tag reductions, and then increasing the pressure on herds literally a few months later via wolf reintroductions.

That's the problem. Idiot voters shouldn't be making decisions about wildlife management. Wolves are like so cute or whatever.

bentarrow

FNG
Spoke w/dow rep this morn in meeker. 3-31. Said no suggestion to board to lower archery or mz loaders in that area.

Eyeman

FNG
Would this cut have an affect on otc tags?
OTC Elk tags are basically unlimited the way I understand it (could be wrong)
But what good would it be to cut tags and still have unlimited OTC Elk tags?