Coyote “Contest”

Gobbler36

WKR
OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
My state turns loose a tagged yote in ever game zone that's good for a lifetime license...been doing it for 10 years or so. Humane society has a plan and they are executing it...
That’s definitely a cool thing to do….
also speaks volumes as to what the people that are actually studying the prey/ predator relationship on the ground see as a threat

WoodBow

WKR
I live in a town of 3500 people. Fairly rural area. We have several of them within a 30 mile radius, every year. I hunted them in my younger days. I no longer am interested in staying up all night. I don't feel that they give a black eye here and most people are not even aware that they happen.

As far as being an effective management tool, I am unconvinced and I will tell you why. Side note first, they do tend to do them in the spring when fawns and such are on the ground, so that's a win. But when we hunted them every year, we would not shoot yotes or hunt yotes on our properties at other times. We were "saving" them for tournaments. So I feel it is plausible we would have killed more yotes over the course of a year if we just shot them by chance or hunted them much at all.

The humane society is a bunch of clowns. Nothing wrong with coyote contests in my opinion even thou I have never even done one. The humane society don’t have a clue

Contests are More humane than The way the government manages coyotes. Killing via helicopter aerial shooting, poisoning coyote pups etc.

In my opinion you don’t have to be for coyote hunting contests, but you have to back hunters. You either stand on the side of pro hunting or against it. So if you don’t go do the contests you still should support them.

Hunting is under attack and anti hunting groups aren’t just gonna stop at coyote contests. They will get those banned, and then before you know it your deer hunting is gonna be banned too

Sportsmen need to stand together and fight these pricks. If people are hunting in any form and it’s legal then I don’t have a problem with it. Even if I don’t do it. I’ll support it.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Coyote tournaments #1 require you to follow all applicable game laws. So what they are really saying is they don't want Coyotes hunted. Tournament or not.

I've competed in a bunch and it is literally just a few Coyote hunters with a bunch of local guys out hunting Coyotes for a day or two. Guys that are killing the most yotes would more than likely be killing that many or more if not at the tournament.

IMO more humane than a fishing tournament where you throw them in a live well bounce them around all day, toss them in a bag, throw them on a scale, then dump them back.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
The humane society is a bunch of clowns. Nothing wrong with coyote contests. They don’t have a clue

The government manages coyotes via helicopter aerial shooting, poisoning coyote pups etc.

In my opinion you don’t have to be for coyote hunting contests. But you either stand on the side of pro hunting or against it. So if you don’t do the contests still should support them.

Hunting is under attack and anti hunting groups aren’t gonna stop at coyote contests. They will get those banned and then before you know it your deer hunting is gonna be banned too

Sportsmen need to stand together and fight these pricks
Agreed
I think this is where I arrive also

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Coyote tournaments #1 require you to follow all applicable game laws. So what they are really saying is they don't want Coyotes hunted. Tournament or not.

I've competed in a bunch and it is literally just a few Coyote hunters with a bunch of local guys out hunting Coyotes for a day or two. Guys that are killing the most yotes would more than likely be killing that many or more if not at the tournament.

IMO more humane than a fishing tournament where you throw them in a live well bounce them around all day, toss them in a bag, throw them on a scale, then dump them back.
No doubt
and good point about the fishing tournaments

My favorite quote from the humane society in that article is:

“Left alone, coyotes regulate their own numbers based on available habitat and food sources, and conflicts can be avoided using nonlethal deterrence techniques.”

In other words, they starve to death and kill each other when their populations get too high for the available habitat and food. Terrible way to go, but hey at least they didn’t end up in the back of some guy’s truck….

I’ve seen them make this argument against hunting other animals as well. Why do they think it’s better for animals to “self regulate” through starvation rather than let people pay (funding wildlife) to access the resource through hunting? What a bunch of idiots…

Not a big coyote hunter so I probably won’t ever participate in a contest like this, but I fully support the right to organize and participate in one.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Been seeing the wave for the last few years coming with the lawsuits and rule changes banning or making it much harder to derby hunt.

When I was running thermals hard there were many derbies being ran invitational and in a group message which was fun and drew less attention.

Hoping they chill out on taking away opportunities