Cow Elk Finding

OkieElk

FNG
Hey Roksliders,

I’ve been hunting bull elk tags for the last 4 years and this year I doubled up with a cow elk archery tag and a Bull rifle tag.

I’ve spent the majority of my time learning and honing bull finding tactics/calling.

What is your “go-to” for finding cow elk in September?

I understand there will be cross-over in tactics. I am assuming calf calling and looking for the terrain features all elk like is a given is a given, but curious what you have done to find success in the past with calling a cow into bow range.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Good luck this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaquomo

WKR
Find the bulls. They will be with, or near, cows. Cold calling with lost calf calls also works really well. If you do that, know what you're saying and how you're saying it. Put some emotion into it, because a lost calf is agitated and frightened.

Hoodie

WKR
I haven't been elk hunting too long either (this year will be my 5th season). I've found bulls easier to call in than cows. The one cow I've called in close was responding to a lost calf call.

As for locating, cows will pretty much be where the best feed is. If there's hunting pressure they will be where the best feed is that isn't easily accessible to hunters. Don't overthink it too much.

OP
O

OkieElk

FNG
Thanks for the input. Based on my experience, I would agree with both of your assessments.

Curious what techniques or tactics for calling cow elk in could be utilized other than what was mentioned above.

Also, I’m September, would you consider it hard to kill a cow than a bull?(based on real world experience of course)

BBob

WKR
Also, I’m September, would you consider it hard to kill a cow than a bull?(based on real world experience of course)
Looking back at past experiences during Sept I bet I’d be able to kill many more cows than I have bulls (and never touch a call) but I’ve never actually tried to kill a cow so???

OP
O

OkieElk

FNG
@BBob
I feel the same way, I’ve gotten into them, but I was focused on what the bulls were doing less than the cows for sure.