COVID Dall Sheep Hunt Rescheduling Observations?

So I have a bit of a dilema and I would like everyone’s opinion.

Like many of you, my late August dall sheep hunt was canceled a month or two back to be rescheduled. My outfitter has now informed me that the hunt will take place in 2022 as the schedule is full next year with the previously booked 2021 hunters. Is this the common approach you are seeing? On the surface I’m having trouble with this but curious what everyone is seeing from their outfitters? I guess my belief is that since 2020 hunters likely booked before the 2021 guys, and likely paid in full before them, the fair approach would be to just roll everyone back a full calendar year. On the flip side, I realize that approach ultimately leaves a greater amount of people rescheduled from original dates. No easy way out here but what approaches to rescheduling is everyone seeing?

Please don’t ask the outfitter name as it will stay confidential. I don’t want to hurt anyone’s reputation but more so just curious as to what you are all seeing before I decide whether what my outfitter doing is justified and the norm or wether it’s relatively unconventional and worth pushing back on. I’m likely the one wrong here but would like to confirm.

Last edited:
The 2020 hunters may not have booked before the 2021 hunters. Lots of guys book years in advance to save money, get in shape, etc.

This will not be the case for every hunter, but probably some. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
The problem I see is there is no good way or right way at this point?
You roll everything back then you rescheduled and inconvenienced hunters going out in some cases three years or so... problem is their hunts weren't cancelled. Yours was. I can see slotting canceled hunts into the next open spots, I can also see swapping spots if BOTH hunters agrees..... I can also see pushing everything back a year like a reset....So

Is any really "the right way" ...I dont know. I do know that as hunter and dealing with outfitters and other hunters in this situation, personally I am willing to be flexible and humble about the situation in order to stay whole.

keller

WKR
Their is no normality right now everyone is flying by the seat of their pants and trying to survive!! I have a moose hunt in Newfoundland scheduled.outfitter is still holding on to hope they will open at least you know what your doing and don't have tuo worry about flights covid test....etc

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
There is no easy answer from what I can gather. The other thing to consider is this: there is no guarantee that there won't still be lasting repercussions from this covid mess next August. I hope they are wrong, but by some projections things won't normalize until Q2 2022. The question to ask is if 2021 goes haywire, will the same rule apply (2021 gets bumped to 2023)? Hope it all works out for the best.

Wapiti1

WKR
In my opinion, everyone gets bumped a year. 2020 get the next year, and so on. Yes, there are guys that booked two or three years in advance, but so did some guys that landed a 2020 spot. Some outfitters had a wait list and you only had a 2-3 year option. In many cases, those guys have more invested as well with additional payments sent that the 2021 and 2022 folks haven't made it to yet.

I think it is appropriate to push everyone one year. 2020 is a lost year. That is the best approach given the situation we face. I would bail on an outfitter that told me otherwise. My money is just as green and my time just as valuable. While it is true those future hunts haven't been cancelled, it is also true that my funds kept the outfitter afloat THIS year. No credit for money paid is not acceptable. As I already mentioned, deposits 2-3 years out are usually pretty small, and the hunters that have a hunt pending in that year are 50% or better in.

It is also true that there is no answer that will make all happy.

Jeremy

Gdavis3rd

FNG
Just a thought... what about the trip insurance? I for one always get it thru ripcord. Can it be claimed for a hunt cancelled due to the virus?

George Davis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Every outfitter situation is going to be different. To me, the smaller outfits should just work 2020 guys in and not upset future years clients. Why tick off twice as many people. The large outfits really have no choice but to push everyone a year as they may be full with 20 sheep hunters for 2 years already. Every situation is going to be different for every outfitter.

With that said, I've lost 4 hunts this year and the outfitters have been AMAZING to work with. In my cases the outfitters simply plugged me in where it worked. They did not upset future booked clients. If it can be done, this is EXACTLY how I would handle it if I was in their shoes.

Trip insurance is also going to be all over the board with MOST of them excluding a "pandemic". Know exactly what is covered or not covered before you buy. I work in the insurance industry and never buy trip insurance. I always buy evac insurance. The insurance industry in general is going through some big changes regarding pandemics as we speak.

As most here, I can see both sides. My outfitter is reaching out to his 2021 hunters in hopes that some of them voluntarily move to 2022. I think that’s a wise approach. He’s asked for some time to figure all this out, which I agreed to. He told me he was trying to plug me into the 1st hunt of 2021, which coincides with my 1st hunt this year(I was supposed to land in Whitehorse yesterday). I told him I’d be Very flexible on which hunt I’d take next year in order to help with his scheduling nightmare. I did, however, tell him if I can’t get a 2021 hunt that I’d respectfully require a refund. At 63yrs old I just don’t feel comfortable going that far out. I also said if the 2021 season doesn’t happen then I’m out and will require my money back. At that point I’d doubt I’ll ever see Canada again. Long story short, I’m sympathetic to his dilemma but also to mine. I’ll be as patient as possible but only to a point.

KU_Geo

WKR
My sheep hunt has been rescheduled for next year. He is pushing most of next years clients to 2022, but working to accommodate everyone’s situation. The dates I had this year do not work for me next year, so we just found something that worked for both of us. Overall, they’ve been very accommodating and flexible.

I agree with Ariettabob that for some pushing a hunt of this type out 2 years becomes an age / physical issue.
What you can do at 59 - 60 isn't a given at 62. Tough situation for all involved.

buzzy

WKR
In my opinion, everyone gets bumped a year. 2020 get the next year, and so on. Yes, there are guys that booked two or three years in advance, but so did some guys that landed a 2020 spot. Some outfitters had a wait list and you only had a 2-3 year option. In many cases, those guys have more invested as well with additional payments sent that the 2021 and 2022 folks haven't made it to yet.

I think it is appropriate to push everyone one year. 2020 is a lost year. That is the best approach given the situation we face. I would bail on an outfitter that told me otherwise. My money is just as green and my time just as valuable. While it is true those future hunts haven't been cancelled, it is also true that my funds kept the outfitter afloat THIS year. No credit for money paid is not acceptable. As I already mentioned, deposits 2-3 years out are usually pretty small, and the hunters that have a hunt pending in that year are 50% or better in.

It is also true that there is no answer that will make all happy.

Jeremy

I agree and my outfitter has been horrible with communications. I’m fully paid, including money for tags and flight to camp paid. I still got pushed to 2022. I wasn’t offered a date, just here is the week you will be hunting and in my opinion it’s a worst time to hunt than where I was originally scheduled.

I was as polite as possible but just got a BS runaround and feel the discussion has already put a huge investment in question as I don’t know how cooperative he will be to make my hunt successful. If I could get out of the hunt now I probably would.

My big question is what he will do when I ask for the money back for the flight and tags. He didn’t offer to send it back but if he’s going to hold it I better get an offer for a cheap trophy fee caribou or something. Or he can cover any additional costs in fees that the government or local charter company may impose. No way he should be holding my money for these fees.

I am holding out hope he will do the right thing. If not I’ll bite my toung until after the hunt and will then let everyone know on social media
how this longtime outfitter treated me. Will it make a difference in the long run, probably not, but I’ll put a chink in that armer of his “great reputation” if he isn’t fair. I’m not asking for anything but to be treated fairly and so far he hasn’t even met me half way.

I also had to jump thru hoops with the Canadian airline. They aren’t offering refunds and only give you a year to use the credit. Finally got to a manager and it will be extended to 2022 thankfully but why put this on me vs. just giving me a date in 2021. Why put other hunters in front of me if they haven’t invested in flights or are 100% paid? It’s simple, greed on the owners part.

Wapiti1

WKR
I agree and my outfitter has been horrible with communications. I’m fully paid, including money for tags and flight to camp paid. I still got pushed to 2022. I wasn’t offered a date, just here is the week you will be hunting and in my opinion it’s a worst time to hunt than where I was originally scheduled.

I was as polite as possible but just got a BS runaround and feel the discussion has already put a huge investment in question as I don’t know how cooperative he will be to make my hunt successful. If I could get out of the hunt now I probably would.

My big question is what he will do when I ask for the money back for the flight and tags. He didn’t offer to send it back but if he’s going to hold it I better get an offer for a cheap trophy fee caribou or something. Or he can cover any additional costs in fees that the government or local charter company may impose. No way he should be holding my money for these fees.

I am holding out hope he will do the right thing. If not I’ll bite my toung until after the hunt and will then let everyone know on social media
how this longtime outfitter treated me. Will it make a difference in the long run, probably not, but I’ll put a chink in that armer of his “great reputation” if he isn’t fair. I’m not asking for anything but to be treated fairly and so far he hasn’t even met me half way.

I also had to jump thru hoops with the Canadian airline. They aren’t offering refunds and only give you a year to use the credit. Finally got to a manager and it will be extended to 2022 thankfully but why put this on me vs. just giving me a date in 2021. Why put other hunters in front of me if they haven’t invested in flights or are 100% paid? It’s simple, greed on the owners part.

Dang. Sorry to hear that. It's tough, but I agree that they really should be giving preference to those who have the most invested. I've done a few hunts that I booked years in advance and my deposits are what they live on until the final payment is made. Thankfully, the folks that I have worked with have been solid.

Hope things work out and you get a great hunt.

Jeremy

bradb

WKR
I told mine that I was good with what ever worked for him 2021 or 22. I am booked for 22. I know he said he was moving some to 21 and some to 22 depending on the situations. He has been great to deal with

I am pretty sure legally he has to offer you a full refund. He has deferred you to 2022 so there is no pre-purchased tags or costs he can claim. I would try the nice approach and if not successful mention a lawyer.......