Cougar: 308 or 243 ?

freddyG

WKR
Most hound hunters I know use 22lr. Cats die super easy. If one can’t hit a treed cat in the right spot, stay home.

mlchase

FNG
45 long colt or .357 mag are easy to pack and meet Wyomings overall cartridge length requirements. I packed a crossbow and wanted to do it that way, but the cat I ended up taking was straight up and didn't leave much of a hole to thread a bolt through so switched to .45.

Between 308 or 243 for cougar/mountain lion when using dogs? What bullet? Only these two please. I’m trying to be deadly without destroying the fur for a mount.

I’m thinking a monolithic bullet.
Over dogs .357 mag or 10mm, glassing whatever is in my hands, and calling 22-250. Lions aren't hard to kill and over dogs your gonna be fairly close I carry a pistol because it's easy and the country is always rough and the race could be long. I did it for a living and when a client would ask my answer was whatever your the most comfortable carrying through rough country or bring something cool.

SwiftShot

WKR
Out of the choices you gave. 308 subsonic FMJ and dont hit bone. Should punch a nice clean hole.

22LR if you have it.

DHoover

FNG
I just used a .243 and my buddy on the trip with me used my .243 for his lion. His hit the ground dead, mine ran about 50 yards.

I have never hunted them with dogs, I personally am ok punching a big exit hole in exchange for them dying fast, because I don’t like wondering when I’m tracking a lion in dog hair reprod or salmonberry when you can’t see your feet because it’s thick. I have shot them with 7rm, 7-08, .223, and the gender bender (6.5 creed)

I agree with others, they have no will to live with a well placed shot. I have also noticed that even a softer bullet doesn’t seem to really grenade on cats if you aren’t hitting heavy bone, they are soft, thin ribs and very thin hide

If it were legal, I think a 17hmr would be a great option for a cat in a tree, but of your 2 choices, I would take whatever rifle is lighter to pack

dkart004

FNG
I’ve never shot one out of a tree but I’ve got a buddy that runs hounds and he knows a lot of guys that’ll kill them with 22lr/22mag. I’ve always thought a .22 hornet would be great for those states that require a centerfire for lions.

K Luper

FNG
Over dogs .357 mag or 10mm, glassing whatever is in my hands, and calling 22-250. Lions aren't hard to kill and over dogs your gonna be fairly close I carry a pistol because it's easy and the country is always rough and the race could be long. I did it for a living and when a client would ask my answer was whatever your the most comfortable carrying through rough country or bring something cool.
357 works great my old buddy used a old single shot H@R no Hyde Damage!

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I've never hunted lions, but I'd use a .308 to make sure that thing is dead before it hits the ground...I don't want to be that close to a live cougar lol.