Coues Deer Elevation and Slope angle

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What unit? Which hunt (time of year)? Elevation and slope angle would not be my first determining factors for getting started in a new area.

Coues deer are found between 2,500 feet and 10,500 feet in elevation, in Arizona. They inhabit flat terrain, moderate terrain, and unbelievably steep (cliff ridden) terrain.

Gone4Days

WKR
Generally 3,500’ or higher but that isn’t a hard and fast rule. They will come down lower.

Fitzwho

WKR
Killed mine at 6700’ in a blizzard. He was on a bench on the side of what I would call (as a flatlander) a cliff.

Northpark

WKR
All over the place. From cactus studded flats to the highest pine covered peaks. Knowing a general area (please don’t name the unit) and time of year would help.

GlassSnob

FNG
Just outside of Tucson I've seen both Mule deer and Coues in the same area; actually glassed both up in the same view. As the terrain becomes steep (think difficult stalk) you'll begin to see them. I've also seen them in heavy cover on flat ground - at 3000+ - much like you'd see them our East. They never stray too far from cover and often will bed almost "in" the bush. Once in the shade they vanish and become impossible to spot until they get up to pee and stretch. IMO they tend to be less curious than Mule deer and super skittish. Because of their smaller stature, they are wary of just about everything eating them. Oh yea..... have your best glass handy and get cozy before glassing! -Luke