Copper Spur UL3 vs Cloudburst 3?

Atlas12

FNG
Doing a fly in moose/elk hunt in Northern BC next year.
There are cabins at the base camp, and horseback from there. Would like to pickup a light tent for spur hunting from there, as well as backpacking in the summer.

I'm looking for a 2 (comfortably) person tent with a floor, and fully enclosed to get some refuge from the bugs.
Other than that, open to any options.

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 and TarpTent Cloudburst 3 look like really excellent options under 4lbs.

Any advice from yall?

Kindo

WKR
I’ve been very happy with my UL3 so far. Sleeps two with plenty of space for gear both in tent and vestibules. We’ve even slept 3 for a week in it without too much issues but we had to do the 2-up, 1-down too fit us all in there. That was the first and last time to do that. Buddy forgot his tent so he had to shack up with us. Between the space and BO of 3 dudes on a early Sept elk hunt, that was the last time I’ll ever do that.

It’s been plenty durable with proper setup and has weathered many storms. The poles seem to be just flexible enough to avoid failure. I set mine up in the yard when I got it and my young kid at the time thought it was propped up by air and did a belly flop onto it. Popped back up no problem! I was about ready to give the kid away though…

I’ve since moved to a LBO and sleep by myself now but my UL3 is my go-to when a enclosed tent is needed. Super fast and simple setup too.

OP
A

Atlas12

FNG
I’ve been very happy with my UL3 so far. Sleeps two with plenty of space for gear both in tent and vestibules. We’ve even slept 3 for a week in it without too much issues but we had to do the 2-up, 1-down too fit us all in there. That was the first and last time to do that. Buddy forgot his tent so he had to shack up with us. Between the space and BO of 3 dudes on a early Sept elk hunt, that was the last time I’ll ever do that.

It’s been plenty durable with proper setup and has weathered many storms. The poles seem to be just flexible enough to avoid failure. I set mine up in the yard when I got it and my young kid at the time thought it was propped up by air and did a belly flop onto it. Popped back up no problem! I was about ready to give the kid away though…

I’ve since moved to a LBO and sleep by myself now but my UL3 is my go-to when a enclosed tent is needed. Super fast and simple setup too.

It seems real nice. I like the little creature comforts like the gear pockets etc.

I hate to say it, but I think your 3rd buddy just didn't want to hoof a tent around....

Kindo

WKR
It seems real nice. I like the little creature comforts like the gear pockets etc.

I hate to say it, but I think your 3rd buddy just didn't want to hoof a tent around....
No, he’s just a dumb dumb. He forgot his sleeping pad the year before…slept on the ground for a week.

Afhunter1

WKR

I have a UL3 and ground sheet that I have never used. Prob 2 years old. I bought it for a hunt that never happened. If your interested let me know. Thanks.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Please verify, but the BA is freestanding while the TT is not. Depending on ground, this may be something to consider.

I have a TT Notch that has been perfect, would gladly buy TT again fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Lahey

FNG
Different shelters. I have the CS UL3 and it's a spacious dummy proof tent at only 4lbs but I wouldn't trust it to serious weather - very thin poles and delicate fabrics. The cloudburst is a lot more durable fabric and ready for tougher weather. It's a little tighter though and you have to take condensation into consideration with the single wall. The freestanding/non-freestading point is moot... you gotta stake out the vestibule of the CS UL3 anyway and the Cloudburst legit only needs 4 stakes for setup which is sweet.