Coolers!

Let’s talk coolers

I am looking for like a 45 / 50 size. Nothing to huge.
Are the yetis worth the 300 dollar price tag?

what do you guys recommend?

HMP25

FNG
I like the otter box coolers! The latches on them are a lot better in my opinion

cmahoney

WKR
If you don't want to spend a bunch of money the lifetime coolers at Walmart aren't bad. I have one of the 25's and I'm pretty impressed for the money.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Another yeti alternative that’s (in my opinion) every bit as good would be an Engel. They’re more popular in the boating community. I’ve got two and love them both. They come in a wide range of sizes and have some good accessories available.

zuren

FNG
I have a Yeti 50. I've never used any other rotomolded coolers, but have owned and used plenty of cheap Colemans. The Yeti is superior to anything I've ever used. The tan colored models do not show dirt or wear very well. I've been very pleased with mine. I wanted to buy a used refrigerator to use for cooler/aging venison, but my wife did not love the idea. I'm now considering a larger Yeti or competing brand since it would have use beyond deer season.

Rtic coolers are a great value and work well. Just watch for the sales.

The Cabelas PolarCap coolers are excellent as well. The side handles are nice but they also take up quite a bit of extra space. I run both in AZ with no issues.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Let’s talk coolers

What's the use? If you are going to use it for beer and open it frequently, then no. All coolers are going to perform poorly if you open them on a hot day. If you're wanting to put ice in it and do a cooler test, then sure the rotos will shine.

IMHO the heavy roto coolers are built for people who use them very frequently (think fishing guides, hunting guides, guys who work on rigs, etc.) and need their ice to keep. For the guy who uses them a few times a year the value isn't there. Think how many bags of ice you'll need to buy to offset the initial investment (and the guys with yetis are still buying ice).

I'm all about value, and I don't see it with these fancy coolers. But it's your money, if you want one go for it!

I use Coleman extremes and they work perfectly. My 150 from Wally world keeps ice for 10 days no problem if undisturbed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rcdinaz

FNG
Look at VIBE coolers. Some nice features that Yeti or RTIC didn't have and very bit as bullet proof, great prices. Same company that makes kayaks.

PhlyanPan

FNG
I have a lifetime from Sam's club (Walmart). I have a buddy with a yeti 45. If you offered them both to me for the same price I'd take the yeti. But can get 3 of the lifetime for the price of 1 yeti and they're still very nice.

My father in law has one of the RTIC and it's very nice as well. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the RTIC and the Yeti if there were no tags or labels.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve tested and used most of the coolers heavily. They are all comparable but some have better quality parts than others. Some of the brands lose their ice retention specs over heavy use due to inferior parts.

If you want the absolute best for quality and ice retention long term get the Pelican Elite line.

If you want to buy a new cooler or replace gaskets and handles and other parts every few years go with RTIC or Yeti or one of those other brands that people like.

Last edited:

Tempe.243

FNG
I am happy with my Bison Coolers. Got a 75 on sale and picked up a 50 for stupid cheap on Craigslist. They are great for long hunts at the edge of the Sonoran Desert. And if you take trips with family they come in handy.

zacattack

WKR
I have a Coleman extreme that I’ve had for about 10 years, think o paid $50 for it. If I don’t open it all the time it’ll hold ice for roughly 7 days. It’s been abused heavily, spent 4 years in a barn in Mississippi before I found it again, washed it off, bleached the crap out of it and she keeps on ticking.

Hoss1984

FNG
Let’s talk coolers

I was in the same dilemma last year. I went to Bi-mart and ended up buying a nice cooler. It worked amazing. Bought the biggest size took it elk hunting and I had ice after 9 days still. But the kicker is you have to pre chill all coolers for them to work properly. The nice was half the price of a Yeti

I like the lifetime coolers from Walmart. My grizzly has been good too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk