Coolers for elk?

What size coolers do you all use for transporting your elk.
Years ago my dad went on his first elk hunt in CO and they fashioned up a pretty large cooler box that went on a trailer. Thing was pretty big but there were like 6 of them that went out. They used dry ice to put in the cooler they made.

With this coming season being my first time going I need to figure out coolers also. Buying something Luke a huge yeti is just not in thr budget so I'm looking at just getting coolers from wal mart but unsure of what size to get. I would assume I would probably ly have to get 2 but also what would be the best way to keep them cool while the truck is parked at the trail head.

Would I be better to buy block ice to put in the cooler on the drive out? Small thing of dry ice in each cooler then if I were to kill an animal just buy ice as needed?
This is something I really know nothing about.
Any advise would help.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Coleman 120 I believe. I freeze gallon milk jugs and put an old sleeping bag over the top of them. Lasts for over two weeks.

dk88

FNG
Coleman xtreme 120 qt and a 52 qt rtic. I pack the rtic with frozen bottles of water and do not open it. Let the meat hang overnight to get as cool as possible and then pack the bone in meat in the 120 and boneless in the 52.

klj100

FNG
All depends on if you plan on boning out, traveling in coolers. Also look at each state you enter and leave on their regulations for removal of brain matter is you bring a head back.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Was that boned or quarters? I don’t really like to bone out in the field if I can avoid it.

I love that they are mad in the USA

Edit: Crap! I decided to pull the trigger and they are sold out at igloo. None at the local Mall Wart and it appears that they don’t deliver. I guess I’ll keep looking.
Check out Costco also. I’ve packed a whole bull (bone in) into one of their big igloo coolers. Mine has an extendable handle on one end and wheels on the other end. Makes moving it around a lot easier! Course, still have to lift that sucker up to get it into the rig!
Second the Pre-cooling/frozen water jugs and addl insulation and shading advice stated earlier.

Elkangle

WKR
one thing to consider is the big difference in size from a small bull and a large bull....I'm go with a cater gater 210 with a side cooler just for ice

Karlg

FNG
I'll be taking two 165 qt Igloos out this year. Precooling and using frozen milk jugs keep them cold for awhile, then right before I hit the mountains I stop and get dry ice to refreeze everything. It's kept everything good for 8+ days before. Sleeping bag on top is something I've heard of before but never tried! I'll give it a shot this year!

Last edited:
If cost is a real issue, you can always hit up lowes and home depot and head to the insulation. You can build any size you want to fit any space you want.

Northwest

FNG
I agree with most people saying a couple 120 or 150 igloos for 95% of the time but last year my dads bill filled 4 of those. Although it was an exceptionally large old bull.

Pelican 250 I purchased from Amazon for $525.
Apparently that color wasn't selling. You can fit two elk quartered up with limited ice. Or 1 elk with a lot of ice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220715-013056_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220715-013056_Gallery.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 34