Convincing my dad to buy a tag

Rocky723

FNG
Hey everyone I'm having a bit of a dilemma on what to do with my semi-stubborn father that is the absolute best. Let me first give some background. Me my little brother and dad have picked up hunting the last 3 years. The first year we lived in Nevada and me and my little brother both got deer tags. We fortunately both ended up filling our tags, I harvested a doe and he got a 150" 4x4 that I spotted while he was asleep. Don't even get me started about that one(I'm extremely happy for him still). The next year we moved to Idaho and I picked up archery elk. Me and my little brother ended up harvesting 2 bucks again and that was all for that season. This year we pushed very hard during elk season with no luck. We then took some friends and ourselves hunting and over the last 4 weeks we harvested 4 bucks between me, my lil bro, and 2 friends. For every single one of these hunts and all the scouting trips and everything in between he has been there with us for it all and helped learn with us as we've become addicted to hunting. However over these last 3 years we have always told him to buy a tag as well and he has not had a tag in his pocket once. I want him to have a tag in his pocket and I want to help him harvest his first animal as he has been there for all 6 of mine and my brothers however he just won't go buy a tag because "he likes letting us hunt". I've tried explaining that we want him to hunt but his semi-stubborn self won't go and get one. What would be the best way to approach this? I want to get him a tag and have him harvest a deer next year but not sure how to go about it. Am I able to just go buy a tag for him? Could I have my mom go buy a tag for him? Should I just bother him until he gives in and goes to get one? Just wondering what y'all would think would be the best way to go about this. Thanks for any and all responses.

You or your brother need to just go buy the tag for him. We have even did that for my did for out of state hunts and then given them to him for father's day gifts if we drew the tag applied for

OP
R

Rocky723

FNG
You or your brother need to just go buy the tag for him. We have even did that for my did for out of state hunts and then given them to him for father's day gifts if we drew the tag applied for
As a youth are we able to do that? I know my mom or older siblings can but as a youth am I still able to?

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like maybe he doesn't care to harvest an animal, likes helping and watching his boys fill their tags more. I think instead of just straight pressuring him into shooting an animal, you need to talk to him more about it and see if it truly is something he wants. If he does but for whatever reason still won't get a tag, you should be able to buy a tag for him if you have his info that is needed.

go_deep

WKR
If he's never killed an animal before he might be hesitant. A great way to get someone to try hunting is simply small game, grouse, pheasants, rabbit, predator hunting can be good too.
I understand you want him to, but he might not want to, and you'd better respect him for that before he doesn't want to even tag along.

OP
R

Rocky723

FNG
If he's never killed an animal before he might be hesitant. A great way to get someone to try hunting is simply small game, grouse, pheasants, rabbit, predator hunting can be good too.
I understand you want him to, but he might not want to, and you'd better respect him for that before he doesn't want to even tag along.
He has no problem with killing anything. I should've added we have rabbit hunted in Nevada, and he has done dove and duck hunts before. I will certainly talk to him about it more and see if he is hesitant to actually killing something but he has hunted before just never big game. That's my bad for not clarifying.

go_deep

WKR
He has no problem with killing anything. I should've added we have rabbit hunted in Nevada, and he has done dove and duck hunts before. I will certainly talk to him about it more and see if he is hesitant to actually killing something but he has hunted before just never big game. That's my bad for not clarifying.

I can understand your drive to get him a tag more now that he does hunt some.
I've got lots of friends and family that hunt, something's just don't interest them, maybe that's the case with him with deer?

OP
R

Rocky723

FNG
I can understand your drive to get him a tag more now that he does hunt some.
I've got lots of friends and family that hunt, something's just don't interest them, maybe that's the case with him with deer?
I will talk to him in the next few weeks and see. Thanks for the help.

My dad hunts like 100 days a year. I've seen him shoot 1 antelope and 1 deer in my life. Those are the only two big game animals he has killed in the last 40 years. He has probably spent 15-20 days total hunting big game in that 40 years. I apply him for glory elk tags every year in units where he can sit and wait rather than hike but he hasn't ever drawn. He's in his 70's and would like to hunt a bugling bull before he dies but it wasn't a priority when he was young and doing out-of-state mule deer hunts. I did convince him to let me carry him on points for antelope again this year but damn if point creep didn't get us. Next year I think I'll get him to apply with me again.

Other than that, he has zero interest in hunting anything but birds. I had to accept that 10 years ago when I really started to spend time out of the blind and in the mountains. But for me, I'll always enjoy hunting with him in the duck blind more than chasing big critters, so long as he's alive to do it with me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey everyone I'm having a bit of a dilemma on what to do with my semi-stubborn father that is the absolute best. Let me first give some background. Me my little brother and dad have picked up hunting the last 3 years. The first year we lived in Nevada and me and my little brother both got deer tags. We fortunately both ended up filling our tags, I harvested a doe and he got a 150" 4x4 that I spotted while he was asleep. Don't even get me started about that one(I'm extremely happy for him still). The next year we moved to Idaho and I picked up archery elk. Me and my little brother ended up harvesting 2 bucks again and that was all for that season. This year we pushed very hard during elk season with no luck. We then took some friends and ourselves hunting and over the last 4 weeks we harvested 4 bucks between me, my lil bro, and 2 friends. For every single one of these hunts and all the scouting trips and everything in between he has been there with us for it all and helped learn with us as we've become addicted to hunting. However over these last 3 years we have always told him to buy a tag as well and he has not had a tag in his pocket once. I want him to have a tag in his pocket and I want to help him harvest his first animal as he has been there for all 6 of mine and my brothers however he just won't go buy a tag because "he likes letting us hunt". I've tried explaining that we want him to hunt but his semi-stubborn self won't go and get one. What would be the best way to approach this? I want to get him a tag and have him harvest a deer next year but not sure how to go about it. Am I able to just go buy a tag for him? Could I have my mom go buy a tag for him? Should I just bother him until he gives in and goes to get one? Just wondering what y'all would think would be the best way to go about this. Thanks for any and all responses.
Until you have your own kids you can't understand it.
Time is precious enjoy the time hanging out with each other no matter who's name is on the tag.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
You lay it out in your own post "you" want him to hunt, "you" want him to kill an animal. He has told you that what HE wants is to be there for you and to celebrate your successes with you and HE has no interest in having his own tag.

Listen to the man! He knows himself better than you do, I promise!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Buy him the tag - or if you can still do this there do a party hunt for all three of you if you are doing a draw or anything. If it is OTC just take him with you when you buy yours and get his too.

As a dad I'd go hungry before I let my kid go to bed with anything less than a full stomach. That's just how dad's are, and it's tough to explain. Your dad might judge his fatherhood by the opportunities and happiness afforded to his kids. Therefore it might make your dad happier to see you be successful than for him to be successful himself.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
My dad as been on a lot of my hunts over the last 15 years or so. He would rather go along, help glass, hike around with us and be there for our harvests. I have asked him many times to put in but I truly believe he would rather be part of our hunts and myself and my brother in law have the tags. He has a blast each and every year but tagging an animal is not part of what he wants from a hunt. Spending time out in the field with his boys makes the hunts special to him and might be the same for your dad.

87TT

WKR
Teach him to call for you. He doesn't need to kill to be more involved.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rocky723

FNG
Thank you everyone for the responses and all the dads responding it’s all very helpful. I will certainly talk to him and if he’s ok with it surprise him with a tag next year. He does call for me occasionally as he’s gotten better.