Conditioning for old flat-lander

v8rider

FNG
I'm looking at my 1st Mnt Goat hunt next year in BC and wondering about physicality of the hunt. At 56 and living in Houston area (@ sea-level) I'm in good shape with plenty of experience day-pack hunting elk, Ibex, bear, deer, etc. in the mountains of Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. I realize this does not compare to a multi-day pack in the mountain elevations of the northern states and BC. I'm planning a guided early (Aug - Sept) hunt for the "warmer" weather and interested how others prepared for the elevation and physical conditioning.

BigDog00

WKR
Theres not much you can do about the elevation. For cardio, do 30 minutes at 3 mph on a treadmill 5-7 days a week. Since you're already in good shape start at about 50-60% of the treadmills max incline. Increase to max incline over time. Also, throw on a weighted pack for even more resistance.

You could start out in the 3-5 days per week through the winter then ramp up to 5-7 days/week say around May.

Last edited:

Homer

FNG
Mountain goats don’t generally require a lot of long distance walking. A couple days a week of stair climbers and some broke in boots and you should be good to go. If it’s coastal maybe stand in the shower before the stair climbers to get used to being wet and miserable. It should be an awesome trip, enjoy every minute of it.

EdP

WKR
What elevation do you expect to be hunting at? Can you do some hiking/backpacking in NM or Az at the same approx elevation?

If Coastal, elevation will not be an issue. Just steep wet terrain.

If in the interior and at elevation, well…….you can’t train for elevation unless you go to elevation to train.

As suggested above, stair steppers, inclined treadmill, cycling. One thing we do in flat West Texas to break up the monotony of training, take your bike to a parking garage and ride it up and down until you can’t turn the chainring any longer. Gradually increase the difficulty with gearing. Really makes your quads burn.

OP
v8rider

v8rider

FNG
Good advice, I appreciate the feedback. A company Hypoxico, rents equipment to simulate altitude training while you workout. I'll also see if they rent that workout "partner"!

EdP

WKR
If you simulate altitude training by restricting your O2 intake I think that is counterproductive. Instead, get as much O2 in you as you can and work your body to exceed that O2 intake. It's really not hard to find ways to do that. Wind sprints, stairmaster, stadium stairs or any other number of options will do it and will work your muscles to their limit, thereby increasing your strength and stamina. You will not get the same result if you restrict your O2 intake.

The human body acclimates to altitude by increasing the red blood cell density in your blood. Spending time at altitude is the way to do that.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 56 as well. I've been doing MtnTough programs this year. Their stuff is the best I've seen. I had zero trouble with conditioning on our elk hunt in Colorado this fall, thanks to these workouts (and good, low carb/high fat nutrition). Their Heavy Pack 2.0 program was perfect prep in the weeks before the hunt. Lots of single leg strength/HIIT work. You need leg strength and cardio fitness.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
Stairs, but add weighted pack incrementally. To be honest, I was down with covid fatigue a month before my hunt and was basically fine for the scouting, stalking, etc. However, the pack out with meat/hide was really where I was most unprepared physically as a result of laying in bed instead of putting in work.

Also you might use a wobble board, depending on terrain. I really like 10" boots to protect the ankles as well.