Compound Sold, Recurve Purchased!

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
It's official! I've sold my compound bow and picked up a Martin Jaguar Takedown. I'm beginning with a good starter recurve to before going all out. It has the 40 pound limbs. Then I will be using a Cavalier Elite finger tab with Gold Tip Traditional arrows (5-inch feathered vanes). I'll get the higher poundage limbs as I progress, but have no interest in over bowing myself to start with. I will wait till 2014 to take on my first hunt with it to ensure accuracy and confidence.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Trad bows are awesome, but they are a lot bigger challenge.

My advice is to learn all you can about form and practice it. Also make sure your brace height is right and your nocks aren't too tight. Both of those last ones make a big difference.

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Gt Rick welches accuracy factory, great stuff, it helped me allot. In personal opinion once you learn to shoot you a advantage. Plus it's to much fun.

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah 40 lbs is good, that's wht I shoot and hunt with. You are better of with a with you can shoot accuraltey, most top end 40 lb recures today have as much energy as a 55 lb self-bow. Check out big jims bow company, u can gold tip trad blemished arrows cheap.

When decide to change bows take a look at talltines archery in iowa, I went thru a few top end bows , his hands down improved my accuracy due to his grips and rise designs.

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
The jaguar was just a cheap bow to get me started and it had a lot of positive reviews. I'll use the jaguar for 3 or 4 years before upgrading. The first bows ill look at are from Stalker Recurves. 3 or 4 years should be enough time to learn the ropes and maybe have a successful hunt before upgrading to a real traditional bow. I'll look at upgrading the rest on the Jaguar.

Thank You for the Advice

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Another super bow is the samick sage 129.00 at lancaster, I learned on it. I had a Hoyt buffalo, great shooter but the metal riser was not for me. I don't know about rest, I shoot of the shelf. I started with carbon, know shooting and making my own woodies.

I would bet money you will be addicted to it, trad archery that is.

Huntfun

FNG
Good move! I sold my compound over 10 years ago and went back to 100% traditional and have never regretted it for a minute. It took some time to adjust from using sites back to instinctive but it all came back. I enjoy shooting and hunting like never before and I find it far more rewarding when I take an animal. I have gone to making my own arrows and, as SHTF pointed out, you have to tune your arrows to your bow...and that means getting the correct spine shafts...can't just tune any wood arrow to any trad bow. If you put the time into getting the correct shafts, straightening them and finishing them, they will stand up close to your carbons. Got to shoot and shoot more to stay sharp. Enjoy your journey.

Eagle

WKR
Did the same in January, but I'm going with a longbow. I would suggest getting Masters of the Barebow and paying particular attention to Rod Jenkins instructions. I'm blessed to have Rod 30 miles away and took private lessons from him, which greatly reduced my learning curve.

G Posik

WKR
Welcome to the FUN side of archery. I would strongly suggest getting in a class with Rod Jenkins. I have been to one of his classes and it is the best thing I have done. It is so basic it is not funny. People tend to over think the whole archery game. Once you get your form down SOLID you are on the way. You will have more fun with traditional archery. I shoot everyday, just because I like it. everyday is a challenge and a reward as you shoot and start getting really tight groups. The challenge is the next day when you can not hit the broad side of a barn. Keep at it and enjoy.

Glenn

marshrat

FNG
I started with a compound four seasons ago as something to do between Sept. teal and Nov. big ducks. Last year, I switched to a Samick Sage, and I fell in love with traditional archery. There is something so simple about it. I don't have to take my heavy PSE wheel bow, 10 in stabilizer, release, range finder, etc. I bought Become the Arrow and Masters of the Bare Bow v. 3, which was recommended to me. I haven't picked up a rifle in four seasons. I like the feel of the up close stalk and kill. Best thing I have done for my hunting interests.