Company trucks/ logo'd trucks

Company i work for provides a truck to us it has the logos on it and all that. They also allow us to use it as our personal vehicle, as long as we put gas in it. Alot of guys here dont have a second vehicle at all and pull their boats and campers around a couple times a year. My boss told me to drive it like it was mine. Here in my hick up im one of if not the only guy that travels to hunt frequently. I did drive the truck to Alabama and back 8 hrs each way to get a dog already. With deer season about to open ill be making a 4 hr each way trip 2-3 times a month for the next 4ish months. then ill still be traveling close to that much until april of next year.

I feel a little uneasy about putting so many miles on the truck would anyone else feel that way?

I do have another truck but the work truck is much nicer and i can have it packed and ready to go and leave from work vs driving hour the wrong way to get other truck.

WCB

WKR
My buddy has the same setup with his company. It was made clear to him that if it is for personal use he pays all expenses including repairs. no limit to miles driven or really what he does with it.

I would just go to your boss and ask straight up. But to me if he said drive it/ use it like my own....I'd do just that.

OP
L
i made sure to ask before i drove to Alabama, when i asked he looked at me like i was crazy and said he didnt care just pay for the gas.

Claroue

Lil-Rokslider
I drive my work truck everywhere. I am on hook for gas and insurance deductible if something were to happen while not at work.

Maki35

WKR
To put your mind at ease, I would ask the boss. Being that he gave you permission to you use it for your AL. trip. I think he'll be fine with it.

Imo, when he said treat it like it's yours, it meant take care of it like if it was your own vehicle and don't beat the hell out of it.

I look at that as a point of vulnerability. It likely will be ok until it isn't. They might say it is acceptable until they decide isn't and then you will be gone.

Elk97

WKR
Like others have said I'd ask. Even though your boss has said you can use it for personal use, they will probably appreciate that you are concerned about it. I had a company and had company trucks, I know I'd have appreciated that an employee recognized and appreciated that the truck is a benefit to them.

OP
L
Like others have said I'd ask. Even though your boss has said you can use it for personal use, they will probably appreciate that you are concerned about it. I had a company and had company trucks, I know I'd have appreciated that an employee recognized and appreciated that the truck is a benefit to them.
i think its a huge bonus to work here. they told me to go get a car wash package to keep it clean and then made me go get it refunded and put it on the company card. hell i thought it was a good deal to pay 60 bucks a month for car washes to get to drive it everyday.

OP
L
Is your boss, "THE" boss? Cause if he's not, it may not matter what he tells you vs. company policy.
He is the VP along with 2 others. the owner thinks its great marketing and insists everyone drive the company trucks everywhere.

Also in the handbook that we can use truck but have to cover gas if not for work

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The company I worked for, commercial A/C contractor allows us to use Co. trucks for personal use, Not only that, They had no problem with us doing side jobs and using trucks for that as long as we just did residential jobs.

dtrkyman

WKR
Drive it like you stole it!

I used a work truck a bit a few years back, just asked when I thought it was a stretch, they could care less!