Communication device?

Taudisio

WKR
Is there such a device that I can use to communicate with my wife in the backcountry, that is less expensive than the in reach mini 2? I just want to send a message or two to her and let her get ahold of me when needed, and emergency services if needed. I have onX so I don’t need mapping. Her due date for our second is the second week of hunting season so I won’t be more than 30 mins from the house, but I lose coverage about 5 minutes away and get it spotty on top of the mountains.
I’m clueless about these devices, but she would like the peace of mind knowing I can get help if I need it. I’ll probably suck it up and get the in reach, but to me, it’s a lot for something (up front and monthly payments) I will only use in emergencies or when she wants to check in.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the little one!

Less expensive than MSRP InReach Mini 2:
-InReach Mini 2 on sale for $299
-InReach Messenger $249
-Zoleo $149
-InReach Mini or Mini 2 or Zoleo used from the classifieds
-Use gift cards and active junky if buying new if possible

Zdub02

WKR
I grabbed a zoleo and use the option to suspend subscription out of hunting season. I did find that it doesn't work well when under tree cover and really needs open air to send messages out. So be aware of that depending on the terrain you're in

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
At least this narrows it down to two devices I can compare to one another. Thank you guys for the responses!